New 75G setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMac24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went to the LFS (locally owned, not big box) and got back into the hobby. We used to have a little 20ga tank with African Ciclids.

Planning on Angels and Bala or another type shark. The guy at the shop was a great help. didn't steer us in directions we didn't want to go. We decided that we wanted to go planted but didn't much want to spend 3-350 on a light so he set us up with a smaller Coralife and showed us what plants would grow. Got home and washed the gravel and started filling. Today we went and got a few plants and 25 feeder gold fish to start the cycle. Three have dropped already!

Anyway. I'm using a Penguin 350 biowheel filter but have read on here they are not good for plants? It also seems to be filling the water with thousands of tiny bubbles?

If we go with the Bala or other shark I've read they are jumpers? Do I need to put a top on? None of the tanks at the LFS had them, thats why I wonder.....

Great forum, plan to read all I can, hope my head doesn't spin. 8)

Welcome to AA JMac!

The Bala Sharks will be too big for your tank. They prefer to be in groupings and 75 gal isn't large enough to keep 3 or more of them.

Angels would be a great option for a planted tank.

Cycling with feeder fish is not a good idea. Unless you plan to keep the fish you cycle with, don't cycle with them. Plus, feeder goldfish tend to carry diseases which can spread into your water and filter. 25 is WAY too many to start off with. I'm not suprised that more haven't died already.

This is a common thing to happen, so don't feel bad. If it were me, I would return all of the remaining goldfish and do a fishless cycle. It's much faster and you don't have to deal with all of the water changes. With as many goldfish as you have, be prepared for daily water changes. Goldfish are messy little guys and will cause a big ammonia spike.

Do you have a water test kit? If not, the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit is a very good one.

The bubbles are fine. That's probably just air bubbles. Good oxygenation for the fish.

Canopies are optional. You'll definately need a hood. But if you have a light set, chances are you already have a hood on the tank. I've heard that Balas are great jumpers but have never personally seen them do it before. But I've heard stories. IMO Canopies really "finish" off the tank. It makes it look complete. But it's just a personal preference.

HTH AND I hope I didn't scare you away from fish keeping. :D The first setup is always the most difficult.

I'll second angels, since that's actually a big enough tank for them. If you can get them to not die. :p What kinda fish are you looking for? Larger fish, semi-agressives, small schools?

In regard to the plants...they didn't mention that they require some nitrate for their health? In that regard, depending on the amount and types you have, you will probably need to dose NO3 as there won't be any in the tank for quite some time.

What types of plants did you get?
What is your current wattage?

So it sounds like he didn't know what he was talking about? I suppose Ill take them back. Interesting. They are tiny tiny tho, could that by why he gave so many?

Ill stay away from the Bala as I don't want to over populate or go too big. I guess what we are looking for are medium sized purty fish to look at. I love the colors of the saltwater fish but didnt think I was ready for that undertaking.

So. My wife really liked the Angels but it sounds like its hard to keep them alive?
We basically wandered though the LFS and settled on Angels/Bala and started the tank according to that. He pointed out other shark's that would work. Red Fin, Rainbow I think....

I guess the end result would be wanting to get a few different species. Some variety. I attatched a pic of the new setup. A little bare. Putting a background on now.

Fun stuff. Thanks for the quick replies!

Edit, added background.

Fish_003.jpg

Fish_001.jpg

Fish.jpg

Jchillin said:
In regard to the plants...they didn't mention that they require some nitrate for their health? In that regard, depending on the amount and types you have, you will probably need to dose NO3 as there won't be any in the tank for quite some time.

What types of plants did you get?
What is your current wattage?

They gave me Flourish tabs and liquid Flourish for the plants. To be honest I have no idea what they are...my wife picked them out of a tank that had that particular light on it. We were just shooting for a plant that could take a low light.

Flourish Nitrogen is what you will need.

The tank looks great! I really like the trim on the bottom of the tank. Excellent choice in lighting also. :D

If you like saltwater fish (assuming you like brightly colored fish), you may want to look at African Cichlids. You may not be able to keep real plants with them though. It can be done, but its difficult. There are MANY that you can keep in a 75 gal tank. Our 150 is full of Africans, to get an idea, check my gallery.

Also, the background looks VERY nice on your tank. Alot of "scene" backgrounds look unnatural, but yours looks great. :D

Thanks. The ivy around the top of the tank was basically to hide the top of the trim. Its the first stand I built and I wanted quarter round moulding but it didnt work so I had to fashion some angle moulding to work. The ivy hides the ugly top corner and turned out good.

The background we chose because we will incorporate more of the wispy corkscew plants and the background has those, plus the log, we will ad more of that as well.

No goldies died overnight, I was surprised. Ill try to get them out and back to the LFS tonight if I get off work soon enough. Ill pick up a test kit then as well.

We thought about Ciclids but since we had a few in the past we went a different direction, the LFS guy I think sold us substrate on that basis (we werent going Ciclid) ?

Im sure we will find someone to fill our tank and call it home. I just sit and watch the goldfish swim so Im not picky lol

Angels are not hard to keep alive as long as you have good water. just make sure your well established before adding them. My angels are fat and happy.. lol. Also, angels are from the cichlid family.
I will double the statement that you should NEVER cycle with feeder fish, that is one of the worst things you could do for your tank becuase they carry diseases and stuff that is not good for your tropical tank

tankmates for angels, if you really want a shark, go for a rainbow shark (red finn, not red tail) they are black with red fins, can only be one shark in the tank, but other than that pretty peaceful. I love the little guy.

loaches and cory catfish are also great options for bottom feeders, as well as otos, and small plecos.

As far as schooling fish that are midlevel, you just gotta make sure they are big enough so the angels can't eat them once they get full grown, neons for example are usually too small. I opted for the serpae tetras, and i like my choice.

HTH and good luck!!!!

So I wonder why he started me with goldies? This place has been around for 20 plus years and pretty much all they do is fish.......

most fish stores will say "just throw in a couple of feeder fish" but its really not a good idea. For one, what will you do with them afterwards? you can't keep them.

If you are going to cycle with fish, its best to start with some that you are going to keep.. like cory catfish or zebra danios.

But the best way to cycle is fishless http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
you can do this by getting a pure ammonia source or by using a raw shrimp from the grocery store.
heres an article on the nitrogen cycle as well
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

also a good way to jump start your cycle is by seeding your tank, with either filter media from an established tank, or gravel from an established tank
thats actually the best way to get started IMO. My friend put her filter on my 7 month old 55 gallon tank for a week and then she was able to go ahead and stock her tank with no problems becuase her filter was already filtered.

HTH

Makes sense. Thanks for the links. When the tank cycles and the water tests good you bring the fish back.......

Ill check that out. Ill also ask them the reasoning today if I can get down there.

Thanks again!

well their reasoning will be "feeder fish are cheep and hardy" thats what they always say but it doesn't make it right. They are just very dirty fish and can "funk up" your water. They carry diseases and such that won't be good for your tropicals, and if your not careful.. when you add fish they could get sick from some disease the feeder fish could've had.

I thought it kinda sucked to have to have fish die. I mean, I know they are feeders and probably will anyway but still. Not a good way to go.

I wish I had found the site before.......the LFS guys sounded smart with their big words. lol

They try to sound smart, but after you read this site for a few months you go in and actually have a conversation with them. They don't sound so smart anymore. :D

I used to have the same problem with this guy at the lfs. He acted like he knew EVERYTHING about fish keeping. So naturally I did everything he told me to do. I bought countless bottles of unnecessary chemicals and flushed so many fish. After joining AA and reading for several months I realized that he had no clue what he was talking about. I went in to the store later on and started a conversation with him and he was stammering around in his words, trying to make stuff up. :D When you find a truly knowledgable employee, you'll feel like you are in heaven. :D

I suppose Ill just have to hang around and read up. First thing Ill do is get a test kit. I dont want to have to pour tons of chemical in or change water too much and shock the poor shises as my niece calls them. :lol:

I wish I brought the "starting a freshwater tank" sheet in to work I could type it up and post it here so you guys could pick it apart.

Back
Top Bottom