new 80 gallon set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so after weeks of looking I finally found an AWESOME deal on an 80 gal tank, with 2 filters, heater, light and stand. $150 woohoo!

Anyways, right now we are just trying to figure out how to start it up. As of now I have a dragon goby in my 20 gal fresh water, waiting to be moved once it's done it's cycle. One I need to know of other tank mates I can safely put in with him.

Second, I know I'm going to be putting sand substrate and live plants. Is there anything I should put underneath the sand for the plants or are they ok in just sand. What kind of plants should I try for it?

I have a hydrometer already, what else do I need to get my goby's new home ready?

Make sure the plants you choose will be ok in a brackish environment. You can put laterite under the sand for your plants, but you have to make sure it stays buried to prevent algae problems.

I didn't see any mention of marine salt. That's what you'll need to make brackish water.

Look at archers, monos, and scats.

Here's a list of BW plants, these are what I have growing in mine. Just remember, Dragons love to dig in the sand and will totally re-decorate :)

Are you cycling the tank with the salt in it yet? What I did to make the acclimation for plants/fish easier was plant the tank while it cycled, added the fish then slowly raised the salinity to the level I wanted it. I keep mine at about 1.011 now, give or take. Dragons are wild caught so they are used to the salinity changing with the tides. I try to replicate that. Here's a couple of pics showing the plants thriving. (not trying to jack your post)

BracPlants

Attachments

• full80.JPG
    full80.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 114
  • full802.JPG
    full802.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 92
just a question dragon, how do you clean your tank? is there a sand cleaner you can buy? i have a gravel cleaner for my 20 gal

I just use a python cleaning system. This isn't sand in this tank though, it's 3M black color quartz. A bit larger than sand but still fine enough for the dragons to sift through. For our tanks that do have sand, I use the python as well. Just skim lightly over the top of your sand with it

Back
Top Bottom