New 90 gal set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everybody :)
8/20/05
I set up a new 90 gal today and thought I'd chart it here. Any suggestions/advice along the way is always appreciated.

90 gal FW
100 lbs of Eco Complete substrate
15 zebra danios
Fluval 404 and Aqua Clear 70 hob filters
Used bio rings, floss and mech. filter from 6 month old tank filters.
2.9 wpg
Added some java fern and anarcr. from existing tank

pH 7.6
nh3 0
ites 0
ates 0

Thx,

dave

Attachments

• dscn4505.jpg
    dscn4505.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 69
  • dscn4503_103.jpg
    dscn4503_103.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 56
So, if I get a cylinder of c02, a regulator, solenoid, bubble counter and a diffuser, I'll be good to go .. correct ?

Thx,

Dave

The only thing I don't see is a heater but I doubt you forgot to buy one. If you're buying all the other stuff why not go ahead and get a Ph controller since it's sure to make life easier in the long run.

needle valve, for dialing the CO2 pressure down from what the regulator can do (which you'll have about 20psi at the regulator, and though you cannot see the psi change, the needle valve will put about 5psi into the tank, on average)

I personally don't see a huge need for pH controllers, unless you have the cash. I run my CO2 24/7 and only have a slight pH change overnight, which does NOT stress fish. Yes I go through CO2 a little faster, but not incredibly so. 5lbs still lasts 10months on my 75gallon.

Xzap said:

I set up a new 90 gal today and thought I'd chart it here. Any suggestions/advice along the way is always appreciated.

90 gal FW
15 zebra danios
2.9 wpg

pH 7.8
nh3 0
ites 0
ates 0

Thx,

dave

8/22
nh3 0.25
ates 0 -5
ites 0

Dave

Xzap said:
LOL green.. I know you're gonna tell me to look on E bay right ?

Dave

Well the tank would likely be cheaper to lease or buy locally..
the sylinod valve isnt nessiary unless your going to shut the flow off with a CO2 controller or timer. So a regular old regulator and a needle valve + DIY reactor would be the cheapest way to go that I can think of.. :p

Xzap said:
So you can pretty much elimiante the solenoid and pH monitor, let it run 24/7 and be OK ?

My 90 runs exactly like that for over 3 years now, never had a ph problem.

I fought the "Algae Wars" for the first couple months of this tank, then once it attained balance, no appreciable algae or other problems worth speaking of.

440 watts VHO, pure Fluorite substrate

I suggested it for peace of mind and easy operation. If you can afford it, it's a lot easier than tweaking out your CO2 by testing, adjusting, waiting ad infinitum. My tank's been up 2 months and once in a while in the mornings I find half my livestock at the top looking for oxy. Seems a bargain but I can't afford it right now. I only have a tank, regulator, needle valve and diffuser. I am seriously considering one for the 90 i'm spending the money I do have on though.

Xzap said:
Xzap said:

90 gal FW
15 zebra danios
2.9 wpg

pH 7.8
nh3 0
ites 0
ates 0

Thx,

dave

8/22
nh3 0.25
ates 0 -5
ites 0

Dave

8/26/05
nh3 0.50
ates 10
ites 0

Thx,

dave

Question.. if nh3 breaks down to nitrites and then nitrates, why am I getting a positive reading of ates and not ites ?

Thx,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom