New 90G tank. feedback appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my nearby aquarium had a midnight sale. 47% off everything in the store.
Got plants, rocks, driftwood. Tonight only until midnight.
The place was packed.

Today's progress:
- cleaned the pool filter sand
- set the sand on the tank
- power strip attached under tank
- media rinsed and set in the canister filter
- Water heater installed in tank

img_2693130_0_68e8367d63f5b3df6c1edb0eb592f663.jpg

img_2693130_1_8179f3ffafd76696055f22615ad63076.jpg

I've been working on the driftwood piece this week. I put it in a big pot and submerged it in water until it boiled. I did this like 4 times.
I'll put the wood in the tank today and fill up the tank.
Question about air pump... where is the best location for it? I was just going to put it under the tank, but the instructions suggest to put it above it and to the side. Where do you guys have yours?

Driftwood and some decorations set. Air stones set. air pump set below tank.
Adding water tonight after work.

Water added. And then... i hit an issue... the "my driftwood won't sink"!
So ended up with a floating big piece of wood.
After some research... I tried the boiling again technique. It did not work.
I ended up going to hardware store for stainless steel screws and to the LFS for pieces of slate. I drilled holes in the slate and screwed the slate to the wood.

Here is the latest and greatest. I'll add more plants later. For now, the cycling process has started. :)

img_2699958_0_2743db62022f8c1597f69d5d226f831d.jpg

any updates? cant wait to see the tank with fish! hows your cycle going?

Not much going on.
I did some work on the stand to fit the canister filter and all other equipment.
see pic below.
The cycle process is going slow. I added the ammonia and I have been checking it every other day. 4.00 for now and steady.
Looks like the fun will start around 14-18 days.

I've been looking at what fish to add to the tank. At this rate, it looks like fish will start to come in around the Xmas time. :dance:

img_2704138_0_dc2b27c2cc994006466d7690459c0a86.jpg

How about this list of fish:
6 Boesemani Rainbows
4 clown loaches
2 bala sharks
1 red tail shark
1 gold nugget pleco
1 black ghostknife

Please let me know if any issues with those guys. I checked their profiles and they all could live in the same water parameters.

Not sure if I can add more so let me know if that is enough for 90gal tank or if I could add more. thanks for the feedback!

Bala Sharks and Clown Loaches get bigger than you might be expecting. I think they grow to 12+ inches.
Were you planning on upgrading to a larger aquarium down the road?

I just looked up the Black Ghostknife and it looks like they grow to be a foot long as well.

Last edited:
bala sharks i know from experience are very long term growers..meaning they dont grow big fast..ive had my bala since he was a baby and he's still only 3-3.5"..i have not had experiebce with loaches though nor the ghost knife..although i believe they require some sort of special attention and you have to be careful with stocking around them

I'm yet to see a picture or someones testimony of a foot long ghostknife or clown loach.
Yes, I read they will get big, but how long will it take for them to get to a foot long?

But I do read the ghostknife is high maintenance. I might not get it.
I do not like the brown ghostknife which seems to be smaller.

I'm yet to see a picture or someones testimony of a foot long ghostknife or clown loach.
Yes, I read they will get big, but how long will it take for them to get to a foot long?

But I do read the ghostknife is high maintenance. I might not get it.
I do not like the brown ghostknife which seems to be smaller.

yep the ghost knifes are a big of a pain! and like i said before i totally agree my bala is like 1-2 years old and guess what? he's 3-3.5" and i also think the list you gave us would only be half of what you could house in a tank that size

i also think the list you gave us would only be half of what you could house in a tank that size

Good to know. thanks!
I think I'll start with that and add more later. I just hope the tank is ready mid December.

I'm still thinking about the ghost knife.
A peacock eel or tire track eel is also looking good for my tank.

Anyway, Ammonia dropped to 2.00 today.

Back
Top Bottom