New Additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquanoobie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

I added two new fancy guppies to my tank this afternoon, a blue and a yellow. I already had a green and red cobra guppies. The current fish were doing great and the water checks were consistently spot on. I did a water change to make sure there was plenty of fresh nutrients in the water and then added the new fish. The yellow one is doing great and so are the two I already had. But the blue one is just hovering laboriously and only swims when annoyed by the other fish. I have had in the tank for about one hour. Is this behavior normal for newly added fish? Is he just scared or in shock? The new yellow came out of the same tank at the store and is doing great. Please help me out and let me know how long I should wait before expecting some normalcy out of this little guy. Thanks in advance.

Update

After so change for over four hours I decided to introduce some food into the tank. I know you are not supposed to feed your for 24 hours after bringing them home but I also read that a feeding can help a nervous fish relax.

After the feeding Blue has stopped hovering and now is circling the same small area, skimming the surface, for what I can only assume is more food. Regardless of what is causing this fish to act so abnormal (compared to my other 3 guppies) is beyond me. I just hope when I wake up the next day he is still alive and doing better.

Some people advise keeping your tank lights off while they acclimate. Also, are you testing the water with a liquid test kit?
Hope the little guy does ok!

Oh good, that will help you know if it s a single fish issue or a water quality issue. How s the fish now?

Seems to be getting more normal now. Swimming like a fish and less wobbling. I think they are all tuckered out from the excitement because they are all just chilling near the top of the tank, guppy sleeping.

Bad news, this morning "Blue" looked horrible. he looked fine yesterday but today he was wobbling again, he was at the top of the water, and his tail fin had began to rot away. Please see picture and advise, I think he is a goner but I have three other guppies in the tank, I have removed him. All water parameters are in range (API Master Test) with a PH of 8.2.

Bad news, this morning "Blue" looked horrible. he looked fine yesterday but today he was wobbling again, he was at the top of the water, and his tail fin had began to rot away. Please see picture and advise, I think he is a goner but I have three other guppies in the tank, I have removed him. All water parameters are in range (API Master Test) with a PH of 8.2.

That's sad. Are you treating him with anything? I know how it is.. I recently lost 9 male guppies and 2 females from some unknown malady.

I figured out he had Fin/Tail Rot from the site below. He looked just like the picture. I believe I brought him home with it two days ago from the LFS which is a major chain (Dehner). I cannot find a locally owned and operated shop near me. I am leaving for eight days tomorrow and cannot be around for the treatment so he has been euthanized. I really had no attachment as he was a new fish.

Guppy Ailments and Remedies

Back
Top Bottom