New, and HUUUUGE, tank to set up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, not been here in a while, couldn't raise the cash to get myself a tank, but anyway, I'm back in work and where I work have a very big tank (not sure of the measurements but it's approx. 5-6 feet wide, 1 1/2 deep and 2 feet tall, big enough to have a bath in!!!), and I've been volounteered to get it set up...

I'm currently assuming they want it to be freshwater, but as they have 2 heaters for it, they may be wanting it to be tropical, but for now it'll be freshwater...

Anyway, I have all the cycling stuff printed out (from when I was trying to get myself a tank), I need to get a testing kit for the cycling, but what I need to know is how long would this size of tank take to cycle, I've said that it could be about a month to my bosses, but I'm guessing it could be longer due to the size of the tank...

Also, what fish would you recommend for this tank, it has to be attractive as it's integrated in their shop (and no other computer firm in this area have a tank, let alone one this big!!!), I did think Neons would look good, but they'd be better in a smaller tank, so what would you put in there (bearing in mind that there are a few fish species that aren't available here in the UK)?

Got to have a couple of weather loaches though, brilliant little fish, saw a 5 inch one at a pet shop near where I work, impressive little thing, and a couple of plecs & some snails for window cleaning... :D

WaterPond said:
sorry, can't help you with anything else but this, weather loaches preffer cooler water, and if the tank is going to be tropical, they most likely won't survive the warmer water.

Well, I did say it may be tropical, but then again the heaters could be there to keep the tank at room temp. as it can get a bit cold in the shop on some days...

I would think it's going to be tropical. In that event, you have some serious decisions to make regarding the stocking and to make it look attractive to everyone.

IMO, a tank of that size should not only be tropical, it should be planted. A SA biotope would be very well suited. If that is the case, hop on over to the planted tank forum for some good info.

That being said, you will need combinations of dither fish to go alongside featured fish. A school of hardy and colorful tetras are definitely needed. Rummynose, buenos aires, black skirt and lemon are just some to consider.

Bolivian and/or German Blue Rams would look sweet. Bottom dwellers can include a school of corydoras and a couple dwarf plecos.

Consider Angels are your feature fish. They come in a variety of color morphs.

HTH

I am a huge fan of a Tiger Barb species tank so I will recommend considering them.

One giant school of Tiger Barb and then your cleanup crew. Ottos, Corys, MTS etc.

Tiger Barbs are very fun and energetic fish. They'll happily entertain anyone who will spend a moment in front of the tank. I agree with the idea to plant it as well, it would really compliment the fish.

WaterPond said:
sorry, can't help you with anything else but this, weather loaches preffer cooler water, and if the tank is going to be tropical, they most likely won't survive the warmer water.

i dont mean to be contradictory waterpond, but my weather loaches are doing fine in my tropical tank. actualy, they have been chugging along in 88f to 90f and above due to raised temps for ich. you are right tho, they do prefer cooler water, but they also do well in warmer water with no ill effects.

So it's tropical then. might aswell move this thread over to the Tropcal section then... :mrgreen:

I think my bosses may be wanting Angelfish (and I have a plan to name three of the fish after my three bosses too, not telling them that though just yet... :mrgreen: ), but I'll give them a list of suggested fish...

But the thing is, the fish have to get on very well as there'll be limited access (as in access to feed & check water condition) to the tank once it's all set up as it's top will be used as a display for some computer cases (small ones, like them Cube PCs and SFF cases), so the species will have to get on well as we don't want to be having to take off the cases day in day out... :mrgreen:

may be wanting it to be tropical, but for now it'll be freshwater...
So it's tropical then. might aswell move this thread over to the Tropcal section then...
By tropical do you mean Saltwater? I'm a little confused. Freshwater fish that prefer warmer water (around 70s) are called Tropical. IMO saltwater is saltwater...not really referred to as tropical.

i'd love a big school of active rainbows in a huge tank. they'd make my day.
on the bottom, consider a huge school of cories, and on the top, a school of hatchets.
as u won't have much access to the top, keep the stcking levels at 75-80% of what you'd normally have.

JustOneMore20 said:
By tropical do you mean Saltwater? I'm a little confused. Freshwater fish that prefer warmer water (around 70s) are called Tropical. IMO saltwater is saltwater...not really referred to as tropical.

No, I thought there was a seperate section for Tropical fish, but I guess it's all under Freshwater, unless there's also saltwater tropicals? But I think I'll steer clear of Saltwater for now, looks a bit too complicated with adding salts and stuff...

Well, took a pic of the tank yesterday, but couldn't get online till tonight, so here it is in all it's glory, bit blurry but you can see it... :mrgreen:

Attachments

• pict0028_111.jpg
    pict0028_111.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 33
I agree with Jchillin that a planted tank would be my first choice with nice schooling fish.

If no plants that I would make it a rock theme with Cichlids. I have always admired nice cichlid tanks.

For any theme just make sure you research, read all the stickies here you can, and come back with questions. Many fish require different environments than the next and you want to have a community of fish that have the similar needs.

Many fish require different environments

I would be careful here...as this tank is at a workplace ( in the front desk it looks like ) it has to look spot on ALL the time. You need to consider who is going to look after it on your days off, holidays etc. Also, can you afford to spend much time tinkering with this tank daily, even after setup...12 months from now and so on? I would guess that eventually customers,bosses, general work demands will take priorty over tank maintanence.
Considering all this I would think the cichlid tank with a rock theme, as suggested by Mike469, would be a good option.

if you want amazaing looking fish, but very very expensive get a set of about 8 or 9 discus. They will kill your budget but come in some of the most beautiful colors ever seen. They are a whole nother ball park tho and there would need to be alot of care and research done on them specifically

Ok I see now...tropical is warmer water freshwater fish as opposed to coldwater. It just seemed like you were saying you couldn't use the suggestions given above...but they are tropical. I understand, I think. :)

Discus would be great....keep them with a school of Rummynose tetras and that would look amazing! Plants would really be nice though, even though you said there won't be any. You'll have to do alot of water changes though.

Or Malawi cichlids would look really nice. You could get groups of different colors/types and it would look nice!

Wood_Dog said:
I would be careful here...as this tank is at a workplace ( in the front desk it looks like ) it has to look spot on ALL the time. You need to consider who is going to look after it on your days off, holidays etc. Also, can you afford to spend much time tinkering with this tank daily, even after setup...12 months from now and so on? I would guess that eventually customers,bosses, general work demands will take priorty over tank maintanence.
Considering all this I would think the cichlid tank with a rock theme, as suggested by Mike469, would be a good option.

It's not in the front desk, it's placed in the middle of the shop between two pillars, so it's a feature that can be seen from both sides...

As for who is to look after it when I'm not there it'll probably be my boss who's the one sorting out what he wants in the tank, also, they'll be sorting out setting times in the day to do other things than the main job I do (like eBay listings, tank maintainance etc)...

As for Cichlids, are they available over here in the UK?

As much as I love planted tanks, I’m not sure that it is the best choice in this case.

I agree with mike that rocks and some African cichlids would be a really good choice. Rocks don’t require pruning, fertilizing, or special lighting :wink:.

I agree with the cichlid tank idea as well. I think it would look really cool with a dramatic rock landscape and would not have the care required by many plants. That tank is awesome, but something to think about is that the tank is low to the floor. I don't think you'd want really shy fish because they'd see alot of movement with feet moving by. But moreso I think you'd want fish that got to be a little larger, to make them easier to see when standing up. I have a 55 gallon with tetras and rams and those guys are hard to see sometimes and my tank is almost eye level, If it was down on the floor it might look empty! Also with a more barren rock landscape you are going to be able to see the fishes better especially if they are bolder fish, and some of the cichlids have great color. You'd want to be sure to have plenty of hiding spaces for the fish if it's going to have movement around it. JMO. Let us know what you decide!

Back
Top Bottom