New and made the mistake of listening to the shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some reason my posts keep disappearing lol

I can get my hands on an elite stingray for 50litres that is already running in a tank on Friday if you think that would help!! I don't mind buying another filter but I can see a way of adding a canister filter without cutting holes :(

Thank you again for you help x

Thank you librarygirl will check that out now x

For some reason my posts keep disappearing lol

I can get my hands on an elite stingray for 50litres that is already running in a tank on Friday if you think that would help!! I don't mind buying another filter but I can see a way of adding a canister filter without cutting holes :(

Thank you again for you help x

I'd try to find something bigger. If you can't find anything else that would work. See if you can get the media out of that elite though and put it in your filter!
Too bad able the canister not working and if that is the case I doubt you'd be able to a hob either.

FishontheRock said:
I'd try to find something bigger. If you can't find anything else that would work. See if you can get the media out of that elite though and put it in your filter!
Too bad able the canister not working and if that is the case I doubt you'd be able to a hob either.

Right just looked up canister filters and I know nothing lol

I have a small opening in the back of the tank where all the wires come out and this is where I fitter the air hose through!

Can you explain them too me please eg how you fit them,what size hose you need, are they noisy etc. the tank is in my living room and I have a couple of shelves under it but no where to hide it if I get one!!

I had one as a backup filter on a 29G at one stage. If they are working properly they are almost completely silent. I kept mine in a tupperware plastic bin beside the fish tank stand in case of leaks. The benefit to them is the amount of filter media you can fit in one. They in an intake pipe which generally functions as a syphon and an output pipe through which the filter pumps water back into the tank. each pipe is ~1inch in diameter.

From the sounds of it the intake and output pipes wouldn't fit without you modifying your hood so I'd go for an internal or sponge filter for now as librarygirl suggested. as they will only require a single electrical cord or airtube coming out of the tank.

I have had a look at the fluval u3 and I think I might get one. Just a shame as we bought the tank cos we thought it was better with the filter in the top!! Never mind you live and learn and the fish are more important :)

I'll keep tasting the water and let you know how I get on! Fingers crossed everything will be ok now x.

Thanks again for you help no doubt I'll be asking a load more question before I get things sorted lol x

Tested the water this morning and ammonia is creating up again!!! Still got no nitrites and have about 5 nitrates should I do another water change??

Cazde said:
Tested the water this morning and ammonia is creating up again!!! Still got no nitrites and have about 5 nitrates should I do another water change??

What are the actual numbers? I usually do a water change if >0.25 ammonia or nitrite. If its less than that i think about the amount of time since the last water change and do a bit of mental math to figure out how quickly the ammonia is building. If I figure it won't hit .5 ppm before I can do another water change I leave it. If not I do an water change.

And test your tap water for nitrate I'm wondering if that's where the 5ppm you are seeing is coming from.

Hi honey

Ammonia is 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 5 and 10

Going to test the water from the tap now!!

I have been out and bought some new plants and it looks so much better and more cosy lol got some fertiliser too!! Have put off buying the filter for now as the woman in the shop says that the pump should be more than enough for the tank!! Not sure if I should believe her but we will see x

Tested the tap water and:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
And nitrates between 0-5

Cazde said:
Tested the tap water and:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
And nitrates between 0-5

Well that explains why your seeing nitrates in your tank water at this stage! It looks good keep going with the tests and water changes and all will be good!

Sorry about the late reply my computer has been down x

I think it's going ok ;D ammonia gone but still had no nitrites!! The fish seam really happy with the new plants etc and going to teat them to some new decorations when I get back from my hols.

Thank you for you help while I was getting it going x it was really appreciated x

Cazde said:
Sorry about the late reply my computer has been down x

I think it's going ok ;D ammonia gone but still had no nitrites!! The fish seam really happy with the new plants etc and going to teat them to some new decorations when I get back from my hols.

Thank you for you help while I was getting it going x it was really appreciated x

Glad to hear things are going well.

Have you seen any nitrates? Sometimes cycles aren't textbook.

Hi

I saw nitrates in the beginning but now even they have lessened!! I did put the stingray filter in (that had been running in another tank for years) and we have loads more plants now so maybe that has helpe the cycle :D

Hi just got back from the last trip of the year and although my tank needs cleaned and is full of snails (don't know where they have come from!!) I have two baby guppies that I can see :D

Not sure what to do with them?? They have survived in the tank so far but not sure if I should get a breeder tank to put them in or just leave them alone??? And advice on the snails and and babies :D x

Hey did you have someone feeding your tank while you were gone. cause it sounds like they were overfeeding; thus the snails. Snails are opportunistic breeders, no food no eggs. What type of snail are they? If your not sure grab a photo.

I like snails in moderation and currently have four kinds in one tank. They ate useful. I have Malaysian trumpet snails that mix and aerate the substrate, pond snails who eat algae and everything else lying around, ramshorns because they showed up and are cool and assassin snails because they are pretty and eat some of the other snails.

I'd just leave the baby guppies. If you keep guppies, babies happen! The fittest will survive in a planted community tank and the rest will be lunch. So if you aren't trying to breed them it's a good way to keep from having a population explosion.

Good luck with the fry. Hope this helps!

Hi honey x

Thanks for that!! Left the fry in the tank and I have 6 little swimmer :D they all look like they are doing well and are out in the open with the other fish!!
As for the snails I did have some one feeding them but just a pinch he said (he has big fingers tho lol) I did remove a few as there was loads!! Not sure what they are tho will try to get a pic when the light is on tomorrow x

As for the tank in general. I have added more plants and they are doing well. Got some more stones etc so there is more places to hide for the fry and for my birthday my hubby got me some amano shrimps and they are amazing to watch so in total we now have
1 male guppy
4 female guppies
6 guppy fry
5 amano shrimps
And snails :D

Was thinking about getting a clown loach but when I read up on them they get too big!! Do you know of something nice and small for the tank??
Thanks for all you help again x

Hi honey x

Thanks for that!! Left the fry in the tank and I have 6 little swimmer :D they all look like they are doing well and are out in the open with the other fish!!
As for the snails I did have some one feeding them but just a pinch he said (he has big fingers tho lol) I did remove a few as there was loads!! Not sure what they are tho will try to get a pic when the light is on tomorrow x

As for the tank in general. I have added more plants and they are doing well. Got some more stones etc so there is more places to hide for the fry and for my birthday my hubby got me some amano shrimps and they are amazing to watch so in total we now have
1 male guppy
4 female guppies
6 guppy fry
5 amano shrimps
And snails :D

Was thinking about getting a clown loach but when I read up on them they get too big!! Do you know of something nice and small for the tank??
Thanks for all you help again x

Congrats on the fry! Soon your going to have to be looking for new homes for some. Sometimes a local store will take them for store credit allowing the owner to reduce the costs of running their aquarium.

The snails will decline on their own if you don't over feed. However, if there are so many they are unsightly then leave a piece of lettuce in the tank over night. In the morning remove lettuce and attached snails. Place in bag and freeze for several days in freezer then put it in the trash. This way you don't risk introducing an invasive species if the snails you have aren't native. Repeat until your snail population is managable.

Clown loaches are really really cool. They are funny interesting fish. Unfortunately they can grow to 12" and need to be in groups of at least five (trust me if they stayed small I'd have a school too!!). There are other smaller snail eating loaches but I'm not an expert on them and most loaches are schoolers so need larger tanks. Also, many are very shy so you don't see them often. I'd start a new thread asking if anyone knows of a loach that would work.

Another option are assassin snails. They are prettier than your average snail, although I have three and rarely see them. They don't eat snails too quickly though so if you want to completely eliminate the population they might not do it for you.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom