New and made the mistake of listening to the shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cazde

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I recently got a 94litre tank and listened to the guy in the shop about using tetra safe start!! I know now I have read some posts on the Internet that it is best to do a fish less cycle!!! Trouble is I already have 6 guppies that seemed to be doing fine but yesterday one of my male guppies started just lying around the bottom of the tank and today his tail is in tatters!! :(

When he first got the fish I was talking to one of my friends who has tanks of his own and ,after telling me off, came gown with bacteria from his tank to give mine a boost!! Been testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates as well as ph, gh and kh. If there has been any ammonia I have been going a water change to help it but have not seen any nitrites yet and I worried for all my fish!!

I now you have probably heard this a lot but any advice is welcomed and needed to help my guppies. Thank you in advance Caroline x

The best thing you can do is regular water changes and check that your filter is sufficient for the size of your tank. If you haven't all ready get a testing kit and check it every week. Also make sure that your temperature is right and if the heater is working properly. Your fish might be getting more aggressive (if the fish looks like its been battered) because of the temperature being to high.

Thank you for the reply x

Just came home and the guppy has died :( but I still have 5 fish that I need to look after! I have test kits and have been testing the water daily to check the results. At the moment they are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 7
Gh 10
Kh 3
Temp 24 Celsius

The filter is built in to the top of the tank so I'm guessing it should be ok! Am I wrong to think that??

Thank you for the reply x

Just came home and the guppy has died :( but I still have 5 fish that I need to look after! I have test kits and have been testing the water daily to check the results. At the moment they are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 7
Gh 10
Kh 3
Temp 24 Celsius

The filter is built in to the top of the tank so I'm guessing it should be ok! Am I wrong to think that??

Hi welcome to AA, and welcome to fish keeping. I think you have a great attitude! You want to keep your fish healthy and are willing to look for advice to do so.

What test kit are you using? I'm asking because that set of parameters sounds alot like dip sticks which are notoriously inaccurate. What model is the tank (this will tell us alot about filtration and your stocking)?

All the best! You will get through this.

FishontheRock said:
Hi welcome to AA, and welcome to fish keeping. I think you have a great attitude! You want to keep your fish healthy and are willing to look for advice to do so.

What test kit are you using? I'm asking because that set of parameters sounds alot like dip sticks which are notoriously inaccurate. What model is the tank (this will tell us alot about filtration and your stocking)?

All the best! You will get through this.

Hi

The test kits I am using are api liquid test for both nitrate and nitrite and tetra liquid ammonia test for the ph, gh and kh it's sera liquid tests. As for the tank it's a Askoll pure XL.

Thank you for your support it is really appreciated x

Hi

The test kits I am using are api liquid test for both nitrate and nitrite and tetra liquid ammonia test for the ph, gh and kh it's sera liquid tests. As for the tank it's a Askoll pure XL.

Thank you for your support it is really appreciated x

Those test kits sound fine. I'm not sure if its cause i'm in Canada but I can't find any decent information on that tank! Its very nice looking though. Does your manual tell you how many gallons/liters per hour the filter runs? I'm asking because often kits are sold with underpowered filtration and its better to be aware of it asap.

FishontheRock said:
Those test kits sound fine. I'm not sure if its cause i'm in Canada but I can't find any decent information on that tank! Its very nice looking though. Does your manual tell you how many gallons/liters per hour the filter runs? I'm asking because often kits are sold with underpowered filtration and its better to be aware of it asap.

I can't seem to find any myself!!! The manual just tells me the at pump is a Pure Pump 300 but doesn't tell me how many gallons/litres it runs!!!! When my friend was here he mentioned that he didn't this there was enough current in the tank (hope that makes sense)!!

Yup... an aquarium (particularly an unplanted one) should be entirely filtered around 6-10x per hour. Is there a way you can get another filter on that tank in addition to the built in one? even if there is only room to slip in an airline/electrical cord there are internal filters you can get.

I'm a HUGE advocate for live plants in fresh water fish tanks. They add oxygen and absorb nutrients. With guppies in particular it can mean that you will have babies and thus a self-sustaining fish population. You can get some really easy fast growing plants that would be fine at low light. I put duckweed in all my tanks when I'm cycling as they are nutrient hogs.

There is a plant finder at aquaticplantcentral.com that is my go to. Just a word to the wise; always look a plant up before buying fish stores (particularly big chains) have a tendensy of not knowing what they are selling and occasionally selling terrestrial plants that won't thrive submerged in an aquarium.

FishontheRock said:
Yup... an aquarium (particularly an unplanted one) should be entirely filtered around 6-10x per hour. Is there a way you can get another filter on that tank in addition to the built in one? even if there is only room to slip in an airline/electrical cord there are internal filters you can get.

I'm a HUGE advocate for live plants in fresh water fish tanks. They add oxygen and absorb nutrients. With guppies in particular it can mean that you will have babies and thus a self-sustaining fish population. You can get some really easy fast growing plants that would be fine at low light. I put duckweed in all my tanks when I'm cycling as they are nutrient hogs.

There is a plant finder at aquaticplantcentral.com that is my go to. Just a word to the wise; always look a plant up before buying fish stores (particularly big chains) have a tendensy of not knowing what they are selling and occasionally selling terrestrial plants that won't thrive submerged in an aquarium.

Opps I have don't it again!! This time with plants!! I normally do so much research before I do things but the guy in the shop seemed to know what he was talking about!! Said he had been keeping tropical fish for almost 50 years!!!

The plants in are lysimachia nummularia x2 and polygonum sp. San paulo x2 don't know that their common names are tho just copied that off the tags lol

I managed to put an air line in that I have but have but it's not running as I have nothing to put on the end :/ would this do or would I have to get a filter?? Or just a stone or something to go on the end??

Like say medicine a lot changes in 50 years in our understanding of aquariums so that doesn't mean much. Not saying the guy doesn't know anything but he might not be up on the most recent information.

The plants in are lysimachia nummularia x2 and polygonum sp. San paulo x2 don't know that their common names are tho just copied that off the tags lol

Good news! Lysimachia nummularia is an aquatic plant called creeping jenny.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ils.php?id=111&category=genus&spec=Lysimachia
Okay news depending: The Polygonum is actually persicaria sp. And it is a moderate to high light plant. What lights do you have on the aquarium?
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=243

FishontheRock said:
Like say medicine a lot changes in 50 years in our understanding of aquariums so that doesn't mean much. Not saying the guy doesn't know anything but he might not be up on the most recent information.

Good news! Lysimachia nummularia is an aquatic plant called creeping jenny.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=111&category=genus&spec=Lysimachia
Okay news depending: The Polygonum is actually persicaria sp. And it is a moderate to high light plant. What lights do you have on the aquarium?
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=243

According to hubby it's a 36w buts looking at it it is two strips that are joined at the end so not sure what type it is

image-1788502051.jpg

Hubby says its a 36watt but that's all I cam see on it

It is two strips that are joined at the end

image-2722545947.jpg

Attachments

• image-961906512.jpg
    image-961906512.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 82
Okay and this is about a ~25g tank...my thoughts is you don't have enough light for the pretty red plants (I know the pain neither do I at the moment and I'm in love with Alternanthera reineckii). I'd see if the shop will give you an exchange on them. Upgrading light fixtures is really expensive and requires things like co2 injection and fertilizer management.

Here are some good plants to look for:
watersprite (q)
hygrophila sp.
Amazon swords (or most other swords for that matter) (q)
cryptocoryne sp. (q)
anubias sp.
java ferns
java moss
duckweed (q)
frogbit (q)
christmas moss
vallisneria sp. (these can be tricky)
stargrass (q)
hornwort (when parts die it falls apart like a dying christmas tree, I don't like this plant because of this but its a nutrient sponge and grows quick when it grows)
cambomba (I have no experience with this but others say its a good low light plant.
q-quick growers

Try to pick up a good all round micro fertilizer. I usually get seachem flourish comprehensive and dose ~2 a week as per instructions. I'm not sure if this is available where you are but there should be some equivalent.

Thank you!!! I will look out for them. What about the filter? just looking on the Internet and have seen some air line ones. Do you think I need to give my tank and extra boost to help it?? Im so sorry for bombarding you with questions but want to get it right! My other fish look in good health at the mo but so did my delta tail yesterday :( will have time to do a little shopping tomorrow so have a pen and paper at the ready to make a shopping list :D

I understand entirely...I've been around fish tanks off and on my whole life! Everyday I do more reading I learn more. I can't imagine the learning curve for someone their first tank (I remember "helping" my Dad with water changes at age ~5). 20 years later I may not be the oldest fish keeper out there but I have a small store of knowledge that I feel I can share!

An internal powerfilter would be best. But failing that a good sponge filter would help as it won't be the only filter. Does the shop you go to have a website? I could help more if I knew what your store carried. Is money an issue? If not and you can fit it on the back of your tank I'd go for a canister filter.

I can get my hand on a Elite stingray but it's only a 50litre one (it's In my friends tank at the mo so it's already got bacteria etc) and I can't get it till Friday as he is currently using it to set up his new tank. The website for the shop I got the tank etc from is www.fishkeeper.co.uk

As for a canister filter I can't see a way to attach it without cutting holes etc not what I wanted to start doing lol

Thank you again for all your help x

FishontheRock said:
I understand entirely...I've been around fish tanks off and on my whole life! Everyday I do more reading I learn more. I can't imagine the learning curve for someone their first tank (I remember "helping" my Dad with water changes at age ~5). 20 years later I may not be the oldest fish keeper out there but I have a small store of knowledge that I feel I can share!

An internal powerfilter would be best. But failing that a good sponge filter would help as it won't be the only filter. Does the shop you go to have a website? I could help more if I knew what your store carried. Is money an issue? If not and you can fit it on the back of your tank I'd go for a canister filter.

I can get my hands on a elite stingray that is already running in a tank on Friday if you think that would help! Only problem is it is only for 50litres. I don't mind buying filters for it but can't see a way of adding the canister filter without cutting a hole in the top :(

The website is www.fishkeepers.co.uk but just had a quick look and can't see anything on there

Thank you again for all your help x

Hi and welcome! Pretty much any filter would work; extra filtration is always a good thing! Is there room in the back of the tank to fit a filter that would hang off the back (HOB)? If so, an Aquaclear 30 would be great. If not, then you can do an internal. A sponge filter would do or an internal Fluval if you can find one.

The seeded media your friend gave you should help immensely. Just keep testing daily for a few weeks. If you see ammonia and/or nitrite start to rise, do a water change to get it down. Otherwise, a 50% water change weekly would be standard practice with a gravel vacuum (don't forget water conditioner/dechlorinator).

Guppies can be territorial. Do you know the gender of your fish? Sorry you lost one; hopefully things will calm down, just keep an eye on them.

Also, don't change out the filter media like it says to on the packaging.

Here's a guide that might help answer some of your questions: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Back
Top Bottom