New and need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oklahomaNew621

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started with a 24in tall 15 gallon tall tank. I ran it for 36 hours then added 6 small fish. Beta, 2 fancy guppy, and three others. One fancy died within 12 hours.... I want to grow the tank and be successful with this hobby. But I need some help I have a filter, heater, bubbler, and decorated. Please help with ideas....... 77degrees.

Hey there unfortunately 36 hours is no where near long enough for fish less cycling. So you will have to do fish in cycling. I would link it to this post but I am on my phone and can't. If you look in freshwater forums, getting started then if you look through the stickies there should be a thread that explains the process of cycling. The long and short of it is you will have to do water changes on a daily basis now to keep the ammonia levels down until it is cycled. This will take a few weeks to complete

Don't be discouraged as jbuck said you are going to have to do a fish in cycle. This will require VERY close monitoring of your tank levels and MANY water changes. I did a fish in cycle with a 29 gallon once sort of the same scenario. I let my tank just sit for four weeks my LPS said water was fine it was all down hill from there. You can cycle fish in but it is going to be a lot of dedication. Get an API liquid test avoid test strips. I use to use test strips until joining AA the difference is amazing. You are going to build up ammonia levels very quickly which is why you need to stay on top of water changes. All of this I have learned from the kind folks here. READ READ READ....... and good luck to you and your fishes.

I knew someone would post the link lol. Sorry I would of done it but still haven't sorted computer since moving :s

Back
Top Bottom