New and need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnk825

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My husband recently bought me a 20 gallon tank from somebody and I have a question about if having these fish in the same tank will cause a problem. The lady he bought it from said they seem to be okay but the guy at petsmart said it wasn't good to have the fish together. Inside the Aquarium I have Tetras, Algae Eaters, Dwarf Gouramis, Platy, and Cichlids. If anyone has advice or comments it would be greatly helpful. Thanks!!

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Hi it is my opinion that the cichlid has to go also how many of each of the other fish do you have so not to over stock the tank.

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Yes it would be nice to know how many of each and if you can exactly what types. Rams are dwarf cichlids and they are generally peaceful but most cichlids are not!

Were not 100% if the types of fish we said are correct, here are a few pictures. Hope you can help. Thanks!!

1160.jpg

1207.jpg

1280.jpg

1232.jpg

We are thinking the fish in the pictures with the two full black fins are the Cichilids. The Yellow fish with the red tail we think is the Platty. The fish with the two whiskers coming off his mouth we think is the Dwarf Gourami.

Ok, well unless it is a mix of female and male Dwarf Gouramis, you're going to need to rehome some. Dwarg Gouramis can be excessively territorial to the point where Males tend to be aggressive to other gouramis from different breeds.

From what I've heart, Algae eaters tend to get too big for that size. I'd wait to see if someone can confirm/deny this. Also, I'm not so sure about cichlids being with the rest of the fish. The Tetra, platy, and Gouramis can usually flourish alright in a community tank as long as ratios (such as one male to two females or one male gourami per tank) are met. Cichlids, from what I've heard, require slightly different paremeters when it comes to their tank set up. I think the big ones are PH, temp, and water hardness.

Also, have you tested the water parameters? I'm not sure about the bioload. Can you give us exact numbers of each species?

Sorry, If I'm a bit spastic in typing. My brain works faster than my fingers can type haha.

yes i would also move Gouramis unless you have one male and one female and the cichlids have to go. you can get a smaller alage eater that will not get so big the reg algae eaters can grow to be over a foot long and when you house them in a small tank it is crule becase there insides grow but thier bodies do not. There are some catfish that only grow to three or four inches that will help keep your tank clean. Also i am worried about your bio load how may of the fish do you have? and do you have a water test kit API make a great master test kit.

Okay yea I apologize I got confused on the fish my husband told me the names and I got the mixed up. I'm not sure which ones are the males and which ones are the females. My husband and I went to Pestmart and got some test strips and other things we need. I will count how many of each type of fish we have. Thanks to all you all have been helpful.

That cichlid looks like a krib and should be fine. The Gouramis looks to a sunset or honey which tend to more peaceful. Your cory like to be with friend and does better in a group of at least four.

So I don't think you have to jump to rehome so quickly as some suggest. Yes the stock is a bit mismatched but if they have been together and aggression isn't an issue. Then everyone should be ok. That said, If you want different stock then rehome the ones you don't really care for and replace with fish you like. Just research the fish you think you want first. A testing kit is a must have which I believe some said API and that's the way to go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom