New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fox1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am wanting to get a new aquarium. I have a 10 gallon now with 2 Cory catfish in it? I used to have 4 of them in there but 2 died in the process of the nitrogen cycle. The 10 gallon tank was my first fish tank I have ever had. It has proved to be to much of a problem to deal with. My question is, what are some good tanks that are no larger then 40 gallons that are good for beginners and easy to take care of. Now I have learned more and I will do the nitrogen cycle before I put on any fish and then I will transport my stressed Corey's to the other one if I decide to get a new tank. And any stocking ideas with those tanks you might mention would be great!:thanks:

What kind of fish did your Grandpa stock in his tank?

40g breeders are an ideal size for Cories in a planted tank.

I'd have soft sand and a big group of 1 species of Cory.

Then a big group of 1-2 species of mid water fish.

Some of my Cories playing
https://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

0b254142affb629e2e11e0004d4a8e4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually thought of another stocking idea, it may be a bit crowded but tell me what you think:

6 cory's
1 or 2 Bristlenose Pleco
1 or 2 Dwarf Gourami
6 neon tetras
2 to 5 Ghost shrimp

Do I have any room to spare after that?

I actually thought of another stocking idea, it may be a bit crowded but tell me what you think:

6 cory's
1 or 2 Bristlenose Pleco
1 or 2 Dwarf Gourami
6 neon tetras
2 to 5 Ghost shrimp

Actually neons wouldn't be good since they need colder temps. Only 1 BN and 1 gourami since they are both territorial. What cories do you have? What about this stock?
1 bn
1 gourami
6 cories
Ghost shrimp
6cardinals
A few other small fish
Or you could not get the shrimp and get a boli ram or another type of ram, they will take care of any pest snails usually.:)
Note this is for a 40g.

"It doesn't matter if your on the same page, it matters if your in the same BOOK."
~Platy lover~

I have done some more thinking and what about this-

1 BN Pleco
6 Cardinal Tetras
4 Corys
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 German Blue Rams
1 Siamese Algae Eater
Ghost/Cheery Shrimp

I know it is a little over crowded but I am going to have filtration enough for a 50 gallon plus thinking about adding more so I know I'm safe. Also I am going to add some plants if I get the tank but I doubt it would do anything.

40g breeders are an ideal size for Cories in a planted tank.

I'd have soft sand and a big group of 1 species of Cory.

Then a big group of 1-2 species of mid water fish.

Some of my Cories playing
https://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

0b254142affb629e2e11e0004d4a8e4e.jpg

What are those red and white striped shrimp you got there, they look cool?

Inheriting 55 gal tank with 38 fish...

Hi everyone ☺
just joined, and this is my first post! I was wondering if someone could help me.... my family and I are getting a 55 gal tank with 38 fish and all the accessories from a friend who had to suddenly move out of state because of personal reasons. The tank contains: 1 guppy, 4 glow light tetra, 6 black neon tetra, 1 red serpae tetra, 6 von Rio flame tetra, 3 dwarf gourami, 6 glofish, 4 african dwarf frogs, and 7 corydoras. I think the tank is overcrowded even though the fish and frogs look like they get along. I have an old 29 gal tank that is not in use. Should I remove some of the fish from the 55 over to the 29 to keep a good fish-to-water ratio?

Hi everyone ☺

just joined, and this is my first post! I was wondering if someone could help me.... my family and I are getting a 55 gal tank with 38 fish and all the accessories from a friend who had to suddenly move out of state because of personal reasons. The tank contains: 1 guppy, 4 glow light tetra, 6 black neon tetra, 1 red serpae tetra, 6 von Rio flame tetra, 3 dwarf gourami, 6 glofish, 4 african dwarf frogs, and 7 corydoras. I think the tank is overcrowded even though the fish and frogs look like they get along. I have an old 29 gal tank that is not in use. Should I remove some of the fish from the 55 over to the 29 to keep a good fish-to-water ratio?

Hi and welcome, Please start your own thread, so you don't hijack this thread. We'll be happy to help.

Last edited:
What are those red and white striped shrimp you got there, they look cool?

Those are Crystal Red Shrimp. They are not beginner friendly sometimes. They need a Shrimp only tank with excellent water conditions.

I used distilled/tap mixture for PWCs. I used Indian Almond Leaves and a variety of good food. They can live with Otos.

I learned using RCS. Then I got my CRS.

I have done some more thinking and what about this-

1 BN Pleco
6 Cardinal Tetras
4 Corys
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 German Blue Rams
1 Siamese Algae Eater
Ghost/Cheery Shrimp

I know it is a little over crowded but I am going to have filtration enough for a 50 gallon plus thinking about adding more so I know I'm safe. Also I am going to add some plants if I get the tank but I doubt it would do anything.

Cories should be in larger groups. Rams may become so territorial that they injure the Cories. Rams will hunt and destroy RCS AFAIK.

Don't get a BN and a Siamese AE. Just one is fine.
They would compete with each other IMHO.

Don't jump into Rams without doing your homework. They are sensitive fish. They should be added last to a well established, stable tank.

Try to buy from a Ram breeder as many petstore fish don't make it. Make sure your Ph will work for a Ram.

With that stock I'd say plants are needed.

C habrosus on Crypt wendtii Mi Oya
ca7c81edb720ac804e6ecdbb5c07f0f6.jpg

I have thought of another stocking idea:
  • 1 BN Pleco
  • 6 Neon Tetra
  • 6 Corys
  • 1 Angelfish
  • 1 Dwarf Gourami
Plants
  • Moss Balls
  • Banana Plants
  • Twisted Vallisneria
I don't know much about plants so do these sound good for a beginner, I know that the moss balls will be easy as can be but I don't know about the others.

Back
Top Bottom