New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K

Khabbral

I have a 33 Gallon Tank and I have no idea what to put in it. It is 3' Long, 1' Wide and 2' High. I was just wondering what a few good starter fish would be and how to get started? I don't know if I should go Cold Water or Warm Water? What filter should I get and what heater (if Warm Water is better)?

Have you read any articles on cycling your tank? If not, that would be a great place to start. You would probably be ok with a 150 or 200 watt heater, just make sure it is submersible. I am sure someone else will have an opinion on what brand. As far as filters, the easiest kind to use IMO are the hang-on-back power filters. I like Emperors and Aquaclears, and for that size tank I would use either an Emperor 400 or an Aquaclear 300, but a Penguin 330 would be a good choice too. check out Big Al's online for the best prices. As for fish you have a lot of choices, I think it would be great to go with a dwarf cichlid community, with some rams or apistogramma, a school of smaller fish like tetras, and a bottom feeder or school of cories. I gotta go now, I am at work, but if you want any other suggestions feel free to PM me and good luck!!! :mrgreen:

Welcome to AA :multi:

To get started, please read: "The Nitrogen Cycle" in the articles section. Depending on whether you're going with FW or SW, you will find articles on starting there also. The filter you will need is also dependent on FW/SW also and you will find suggestions and recommendations in the FW/SW "Getting started" forums. If you have already decided on what you are going to do and need some quick hints, post your question in the appropriate forum and members will be glad to help.

Hey there, I have a 29 gallon tank so the specs are pretty close to yours. For a filter a Penguin 330 or even 170 should be suffice. I have the Penguin 170 on my 29 and I just ordered the 330 for my 55. The combination of the 170, an undergravel filter and my pleco keep my 29 gallon tank pretty clean.

Gourami's are always a good fish to have. One or two of those with a bottom dweller and a pleco would be a good setup.

I like the tetras, neons, danios, they are very active and there are many varieties to choose from. They also seem to stay close to the top so bottom dwellers can be added too. Well, the tetras stayed in the middle of my 29 gal tank. I also had 3 Mollies (females) and a black male mollie. These seemed to get stressed out more and the females died from ich and my tetras and all but 2 of my danios got it and died too. I also have 1 swordtail that is really pretty. And we like pictus cats too. They are very lively. But i would wait till your tank is cycled first for him and the Mollies.We also learned not to introduce too many fish at one time.

Back
Top Bottom