New aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi folks,

Well, like it or not Fall has arrived, and as much as I'm a hot weather lover, I'm happy to have had such an awesome summer and I'm ready to start working in my cold weather project: My 55 g tank!!!!! 8)

I cannot go for any 50-55 g because I have space constrains (44x22x13). I need to have it custom made. For what I've seen it will cost me a little fortune. That why I'm here starting this topic, to get as much advice as I can from all of you.

Let's use a good brainstorming rule: "no idea is a bad idea". All help is welcome. :D

By the way, I'm looking at this Eheim 2213 whit very little use. Would it be enough for a 55g. Specs read for 66g max.

Thank you all!!!!!

First of all welcome to AA.
Here are some good sources to buy stuff cheap online, with excellent service:
www.bigalsonline.com
www.aquariumplants.com
www.glasscages.com

For a 55gal an Eheim ecco 2233, 2213 or a Fluval 304 should be fine. You can also look under google for eheim or fluval (IMO the best filters) and look for up to which aquarium size they are. Take a decent sized one, for better water quality.
If you'll have plants in the aquarium do not use the carbon filter material, since it will filter out some nutrients for the plants. You could take some ceramic material for bilogical filtration instead.

It's always good if you read all the "stickys" in this forum and the articles on Aquariumadvice.
If you want to start out with plants, some nice light would be good. Consider power compact fluorescents, since they are not as expensive as metal halide but give you more light than regular flourescents. About 2wpg and you can grow most plants but don't really need a lot of CO2 yet. You can make CO2 as plant food yourself.
IMO it will always look nicer and more tranquilizing to have real plants. Plus you will have the benefits that they take nutrients away from the algae and so to speak work as a little biofilter in your aquarium.

For plantinfo:
www.tropica.com
www.plantgeek.net

Congrats on your new future tank!

I found the Eheim 2215 to be inadequate for my 55, so I definitely think a 2213 will not be enough for a 55. Filters are rated without any media and are not really useful in selecting one for your tank, IMO, unless you always assume that TWO of the filters in question will work for the tank they are rated for, lol. :wink: I think the 2215 is perfect for your 30gal, for example.

As for your new setup, do you want a planted tank? A biotope? An oddball tank? Brackish? Community? Large single specimen or largish pair with nothing else? You have lots of options! :D

I want to move my plants and fish to the new tank and add MORE plants and fish. The 30 will go to my daughter who owns a small Oscar and a tiger barb. Now she has them in a 10 gal, which she knows (i've told her enough times) is too small. Eventually the 30 g will be too small for the Oscar so she will have to decide what to do with it.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, I'm looking for advise on the tank itself. tank manufacturers, materials, deals, etc.

But stay tuned, because I'll be asking for lots more advise... I need help :silly:

Mississauga. I'm wiling to take a little trip around for the right stuff, Tortois. Any advice? Calgary is a little out of the way!!! :D

Any advice? Calgary is a little out of the way!!!
That's a shame, since Toirtis is the :king: of steals! The best place to find deals is the classifieds--you never know what someone is getting rid of, or who makes custom tanks in their spare time.

Back
Top Bottom