Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1106 View Post
Ok so it's been a few days since I posted my results. My ammonia has been continuing to drop withing 24 hours even when dosing ammonia to as high 5 ppm. This is great but my nitrites and nitrates have been off the charts. So high that the colors are not on the API test.

I just performed a 50% water change because I've read that levels this high could stall the cycle. Has anyone experienced what I'm going through? What can I do at this point or should I just just wait for the cycle to complete? How long will this last for?
All you can do is water changes, that's the only thing that will bring levels down, safely and effectively anyway; most chemicals you can buy do work BUT are only a temporary fix and usually end up doing more harm than good because of fluctuations.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok so it's been a few days since I posted my results. My ammonia has been continuing to drop withing 24 hours even when dosing ammonia to as high 5 ppm. This is great but my nitrites and nitrates have been off the charts. So high that the colors are not on the API test.

I just performed a 50% water change because I've read that levels this high could stall the cycle. Has anyone experienced what I'm going through? What can I do at this point or should I just just wait for the cycle to complete? How long will this last for?
Also Becareful of dosing ammonia to high, that can stall a cycle as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Okay so I'm now on day 8 where my nitrites and nitrates are of the charts. I've done 4 major water changes in the past few days but the numbers have not changed. Should I be concerned or do I just wait it out at this point? Should I dose ammonia maybe every 3 days to lower the ammonia that is converting to nitrites? My nitrites are above the 5ppm color on the chart and my nitrates are unreadable. My ph is really high as well but I read this could be due to extremely high presence of nitrates in the water. The only thing I'm dosing is Flourish excel daily and my anubias and amazons are doing great other than green algae growing on the leaves.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
Look It Up

Have you tested your tap water for nitrite and nitrate? What size water changes did you do? Odd that the levels haven't dropped at all with 4 water changes unless they were small ones or unless your tap water has some nitrite or nitrate in it.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I had that situation, I had to do a 90% water change. Within a day or so after the nitrites disappeared.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #26

Yes I tested my tap and the the only thing my tap is guilty of is 0.5 ppm ammonia. I did 4 50% water changes. So it sounds like I need to just clear out all of my water?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yes I tested my tap and the the only thing my tap is guilty of is 0.5 ppm ammonia. I did 4 50% water changes. So it sounds like I need to just clear out all of my water?
Until your cycle gets to where it can process ammonia, you need to be using prime so it neutralizes ammonia, that much ammonia is toxic
To fish.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post
Until your cycle gets to where it can process ammonia, you need to be using prime so it neutralizes ammonia, that much ammonia is toxic
To fish.
It's a fishless cycle so no worries there. By the time it finishes cycling the decholorinator will detoxify the ammonia until the bacteria consumes it when there are fish in the tank, as you mentioned.

If nitrites are still that high after 4 50% water changes I'd try a full change and see what happens. Keep doing them until nitrites are readable on the chart. Then skip dosing ammonia for that day, then you can dose to 2 instead of 4 for a few days to let the bacteria try to catch up.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #29

Got it. Thanks for all the advice. I just read another post where a guy had the same situation like mine and someone mentioned that he may be already cycled but that ammonia dosing was too high which caused the high nitrites and nitrates. This particular person did a 90% water change and was fully cycled in 48 hours. Thanks for the advice. I will try a 90% wc and will post results in 48 hours.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post

It's a fishless cycle so no worries there. By the time it finishes cycling the decholorinator will detoxify the ammonia until the bacteria consumes it when there are fish in the tank, as you mentioned.

If nitrites are still that high after 4 50% water changes I'd try a full change and see what happens. Keep doing them until nitrites are readable on the chart. Then skip dosing ammonia for that day, then you can dose to 2 instead of 4 for a few days to let the bacteria try to catch up.
I missed that it was a fishless. My mistake.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com