New aquarium please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got my aquarium running from yesterday but the problem is the water is getting clouder like a little not clear at all i have woods and some normal decoration is this normal? should i put more carbon?

That's good! It migh be a bacterial bloom! Have you tested you water parameters?

I have right now only nitrite and nitrate and ph i can't get ammonia for now

Darn! I would say leave it, but somebody's welcome to tell me I'm wrong. :)

I always have some carbon in my filter. Idk if you should add more.

i did put some carbon but i want to know if the cloudiness in my tank is normal or not?

I be
I've its a bacterial bloom, so yes it's a god thing!

how can i know if it's bacterial bloom? should i test nitrite or nitrate? cz i don't have ammonia right now

If it has a white, cloudy look, then it's a bacterial bloom. While it is a nitrifying bacteria, it's not the same type of bacteria that you're trying to cultivate for your tank's cycling process. This type of bacteria is in direct competition with the bacteria that you want.. So it's not really a "good thing". That said, it's not the end of the world either. It will usually sort itself out, but if sticks around you'll need to take steps to get rid of it.
Adding more carbon to your filter won't have any effect, but physically removing it via water changes will help.

Are you doing a Fish-In or Fishless cycle?

fishless cycle i don't want to harm any creature

In that case, I would suggest that you either remove or stop adding your ammonia source... Whichever is the case. That way you're not feeding the bacteria in the bloom. Then do some water changes to physically remove them.
Once you're water stays clear again, then resume the cycling process. In the meantime, try to get something to test ammonia. That way you'll have a better idea of where you are in your cycle.

Incidentally, if you do it correctly, a Fish-In cycle doesn't harm the fish. It's just A LOT more testing and water changing.

Umm to be honest with u my tank has been running from yesterday i didn't add any source for ammonia i only have sand 2 driftwood and some normal decoration and my filter is running with some carbon and cotton and that's it but i have under the sand some food for the plants i don't know if they contain bacteria or not and my tank looks like that right now which i don't like the look like cloudy

img_2936869_0_808dc2467b5106acc64a73d9fdd8aa45.jpg

img_2936869_1_5bae20dfc5e0152816c9b8ce5150d813.jpg

as u can see it's cloudy that i cannot see clearly the other side :/ like i said i didn't add any source of ammonia but i was thinking maybe the plant food or the sand contains bacteria or i don't know...and to be honest i really can't get any ammonia test right now like i said only nitrite and nitrate and ph i have.. so

Hard to say from the picture. It might just be sediment from the sand. See if it just settles down on its own in the next couple days.

Put foam or a panty hose over intake. It will keep any sand out of your filter. It looks normal. The cloudiness should settle out in 24 to 48 hours. You can add Purigen if you need extra polishing for the water.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks :) your reply made me relief a little,guys just one more question how am gonna kick the cycle? i know it's a stupid question and i should do some research but i switched from salt back to fresh and i forgot somethings, anyway should i put some fish food flakes every day? and test my nitrate? cause like i said many times i can't get ammonia for now.

Back
Top Bottom