New Aquarium Tragedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7aradox

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, so I have started a new aquarium almost a month ago and have encountered some frustrating problems. This is my first ever planted aquarium that I have ever done and wanted to experiment and practice in order to learn more. This what it looked like after I first finished setting everything up:Image

The tank is partially dirted with organic top soil (an inch or so on both sides of tank) and Seachem Fluorite Black as the top layer. Among those planted, I have just Java fern and dwarf baby tears to start out with. In order to promote plant growth, I have an semi-automatic CO2 system running and an Fluval A3992 Aqua Fresh & Plant 2.0 LED for light. I figured this would be enough to grow dwarf baby tears but apparently I was wrong. When I first planted the tears I was told to put a rock on top of the plant because it tended to float.
view
This worked but as weeks went by, I noticed that the roots were not anchoring themselves at all (or at least did not seem to). I would accidentally hit them while cleaning and they would become easily uprooted. After securing them under a rock repeatedly I noticed that they were gradually starting to die and were not really growing at all. Frustrated, I purchased a glass CO2 checker to put in my tank. After dialing my CO2 in, I noticed an increase of algae growth. I know that this is common with new aquariums but I think the algae were feeding off the excess CO2.

(Also, mind you, I have another established aquarium as well which I have been taking water from and filling it with each water change of the new one.)

With the increase of algae, I figured that I was providing too much excess nutrients in the tank since the nitrogen cycle had not fully been established. I cut the CO2 flow down by half and as well as the light intenisty. I even lowered the temperature down to 80F too (which is where it should be). I did this for a few days but there wasn't much of an noticeable difference.

Fast-forward a week and that's when things started to get really bad. I'm a college student and recently finished my finals for the Fall Quarter. During this time, I hardly did any maintenance on my tank. This is what it looks like now (before I just cleaned it):
open

open

open

open

As you can see, it has completely succumbed to algae within a week and a half. I even got strange little "worms" as you can see on the glass of my aquarium.

What am I doing wrong? Is my substrate too big for the dwarf baby tears? Am I providing too much light?(there is a window nearby) Am I too impatient? Has my bottom layer of substrate become anaerobic? I am not sure.

I know that I have not been keeping up with maintenance for a week but I feel like this algae is a bit more severe than normal.

Firstly, none of the pictures are working properly. I like to upload them to imgur and then post them from there.

Second we need a little more info about what you're doing with the tank.

1: What fertilizers are you adding to the tank and how often are you adding them?
2: how long are your lights on daily?
3: how deep is your tank?

Pictures

I don't know why the pictures didn't post but here they are again in order.

Before:
wHMZUhx.jpg

R5IoOPM.jpg

After:
sVP8wjh.jpg

I4hy2Cu.jpg

xZPrVSy.jpg

CMe1qw4.jpg

Firstly, none of the pictures are working properly. I like to upload them to imgur and then post them from there.

Second we need a little more info about what you're doing with the tank.

1: What fertilizers are you adding to the tank and how often are you adding them?
2: how long are your lights on daily?
3: how deep is your tank?

I have reposted the pictures below. As of now, I do not use any fertilizers in the tank. I have been told they aren't completely necessary but they can help.

The lights run on a 24/7 light cycle. Daylight starts at 8am and ends at 8pm.

My tank is 29 gallons (12.5"L x 30.25"W x 18.75"H). Substrate varies from 1-3in. in height around the tank.

Back
Top Bottom