New Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey I just got a new double tail half moon Betta and he's acclimizing now any advice to care for him as well as possible?

I have tons of questions before dishing out advice.

Really, I find a random google advice mixes to much bad advice with the good.

I love bettas. They have tons of personality and are fairly hardy. They still need proper care to live a long healthy life.

Is yours in a bowl or in a properly cycled and sized tank?
What kind of food do you have for him (or is it a female?)

It's a male he's in a newly cycled three gallon with just a few shrimp and I'm feeding dried bloodworms right now till I get some betta pellets or whatever is best for him, what do you fee yours?

Don't feed the freeze dried, it bloats them, unless you are going to soak them all the way through. I feed my bettas Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets, pre soaked for 10 minutes.
By newly cycled do you mean the tank went through the whole nitrogen cycle?
Does the tank have a filter and a heater?

Yeah it's is totally cycled now and it is filtered but no heater yet :( I don't have the money yet

Bettas require a temperature of 79-82 Fahrenheit so you would need a heater pronto!! Try also an get Indian or dried cappata leaves. these set the conditions nicely for them. If you plan to get females get 3. The reasons for this are 1 female would get battered by the male. 2 females will fight each other to form a pecking order. If you have 3 things seem to run smoother for some reason.

Last time I suggested adding females to a male betta tank I was promptly corrected.

Female bettas should never be housed with male bettas. The only time they are kept together is for spawning, then they are quickly separated.

Female betta sorority tanks rarely work out in the long term. No way a sorority is suitable for a 23L tank.

Just passing on the info.

Last time I suggested adding females to a male betta tank I was promptly corrected.

I have to respectfully disagree. I've housed a male and three females in a 29g community with no problems. I would not suggest trying to put any more than a single betta in a 3g, but in a larger tank, it's possible. Maybe I've just gotten lucky and bought bettas with amicable personalities.

I think it just depends on the betta. I have my boys in split tanks, and I have to put an extra divider on the divider because 3 out of the 4 boys will ram the divider trying to get to the one next door. They're crazy.

I have found bettatalk.com to be very useful. It is my favorite Betta site. You should check it out. There are stories from other Betta owners and over five hundred pages on just about anything Betta. And yes, I realize I sound like a walking billboard, but this site is pretty awesome.

Cool thanks everybody I really love getting a fish this fun to watch, he's smart too I've only had him two days and he already knows feeding times lol

I know. Bettas have such character. They are the only fish I've ever had, and because of that, are my favorite type of fish.

Back
Top Bottom