New betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emmy_helen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I started a new 5 gallon betta tank and it is fish less cycling right now, but before it gets too far along in the cycle, I was wondering if I should get a different filter. The filter the 5g has right now is an Exo-Terra ReptiClear F150 I had laying around. Would that be ok for a 5g with a betta, 2 Nerite snails, and possibly some Red Cherry Shrimp or Ghost Shrimp? Or should I just get a new filter and start over? I have only had the tank running for a few days so ordering a new filter probably wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Emmy

It's basically a water pump with a sponge inside, so that should give you your biological filtration. I'd say give it a try and monitor your ammonia-nitrite-nitrate numbers to see if it's working as it should.

I agree that the filter should probably be fine.

Something to keep in mind with your stocking is that your betta might try to eat the shrimpies, especially the cherry shrimp. I had ghost shrimp with my male, and while I never saw him eat or chase them, I went from six shrimp to zero over a week period. I had ghosties in my guppy tank, and their numbers didn't dwindle down.

As long as you are aware there is a possibility your betta might eat the shrimp, there's no harm in trying it out. Some bettas don't bother them at all.

Back
Top Bottom