New Betta Won't Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrbear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got a brand-new, male Betta in my 5.5 gal, cycled tank. He's been exploring and hiding, which seems normal. When and how should I feed him? My previous Betta was accustomed to hand-feeding, so he was easy. This one, not so much; he doesn't even seem interested in the food. Can they smell the food when you put it in? How do fish know to come to the surface to get food? BTW, I feed with the Hikari Bio-Gold. Edited to add: The tank is heated to 82 degrees, and has a filter (soda bottle baffle) and a small air stone. The test today showed Ammonia, NO2 at 0ppm, and NO3 at less than 5ppm. I usually give defrosted bloodworms every 4 or 5 days as a treat.

Do you have a heater in the tank? They are tropical fish and too cool of water makes them sluggish.

Sometimes a new fish tanks a couple days to eat. If I'm having trouble with a fish not wanting to eat I use a food like Frozen Brine shrimp which usually works to get them eating.

Yes, I keep the tank heated to 82 degrees. Hopefully it's just new tank jitters!

That's alittle warm. Personally I'd turn it to around 78F. But if you do drop the temp slowly not all at once.

id say give him a few days to get comfortable. And I agree with heat, 78 degrees sounds better. if you see any weird behaviors besides not eating, or he doesn't start eating after a few days, let us know! :)

Back
Top Bottom