New Black Friday 75g. How to stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rel3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thinking of doing a south american tank. Any suggestions? I have peppered corys and a BN pleco going in to start. Have a couple other random community tanks so looking to get more of a theme going for this one. Have very fine gravel. Driftwood, rocks and fake plants. Going to seed the filter with media from my other tank to speed start up. ..

3 pairs of GBR, a big school of Congo tetras, and some angels

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Congos are African and want harder water than the SA species. Nice fish, but not very compatible in terms of water parameters.

I'd do a pair of Rams (Bolivians are easier, GBRs more challenging) and a pair of Cockatoo apistos in the bottom, a large shoal of Cardinals in the middle, and either Silver Hatchets or Dwarf Pencilfish at the top. Or something similar. Lots of possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh my fault on the congos! Sorry about that

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Bleeding heart tetras are super cool. Maybe get a Severum. I've never kept them and some people say 75 should be fine. I think they're cool.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd do a rainbowfish tank. All rainbows are amazing and really colourful. Some species are:

Boesemani rainbow
Praecox/Dwarf neon rainbow
Turquoise/Lake Kutubu rainbow
Yellow/Lake Tebara rainbow
Parckinson's rainbow
New Guinea/ Red rainbow
Red Irian rainbow
Australian rainbow
Forktail blue eye rainbow
Spotted blue eye rainbow
Threadfin rainbow
Celebes rainbow

These are all great fish but the last 4 are a bit smaller so may be eaten/picked on by the larger ones

Got my tank up and running. I think it's fully cycled now using filter media from my other established tanks. (Ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 5-10).

I added 6 peppered cory cat's, 3 medium angels. I moved 2 bumble bee cats, Bolivian ram and bn pleco as well.

In addition got 2 Amazon sword plants (ive never done real plants)

Any suggestions on how to finish things off? I feel like I need a really big school of something for middle or top. Maybe another dozen cories too. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your amazon swords will need root tabs. Maybe post under the planted tank forum. Good luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

3 pairs of GBR, a big school of Congo tetras, and some angels

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

More than a pair of GBRs even in a large tank usually ends poorly. There is a member here named Rivercats with a HUGE very heavily planted tank that tried 3 pairs of GBRs and one pair of them picked all the others to death. More than a single pair isn't something i'd try.

I'd do a rainbowfish tank. All rainbows are amazing and really colourful. Some species are:

Boesemani rainbow
Praecox/Dwarf neon rainbow
Turquoise/Lake Kutubu rainbow
Yellow/Lake Tebara rainbow
Parckinson's rainbow
New Guinea/ Red rainbow
Red Irian rainbow
Australian rainbow
Forktail blue eye rainbow
Spotted blue eye rainbow
Threadfin rainbow
Celebes rainbow

These are all great fish but the last 4 are a bit smaller so may be eaten/picked on by the larger ones

The only problem is that rainbows are found in and around Australia

Do like 10-12 cardinal tetras and call it a day. :)

Personally, I would crank that up to 20 and call it good :)

Your amazon swords will need root tabs. Maybe post under the planted tank forum. Good luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep, they are simple to care for as long as you give them good root tabs. Stay away from store bought root tabs and go with other choices. Either DIY osmocote tabs or RU tabs from peabodies paradise are the 2 choices I would personally go with.

Thanks for the responses. I like idea of cardinals.

On the plants, I bought seachem flourish root tabs and buried one in between the 2 swords.

Regarding the Bolivian rams, Do u need a male and female our can it be a random pair? If you need M/F then how can you tell? My Bolivian is very young.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can try like :

8- Blue emperor tetra
8- Lemon tetra
1- B.N. pleco
10- Peppered cory
1-2 Yellow Acara
Or
2- apisto viejita
Or
3-4 Rams

Back