New Black Molly, with White Gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcm87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put 3 Molly's in a new 10 Gal. 2 are doing great, but the 3rd has a lot of white stuff around its gills. What is it? Is there anything I can do. It has only been in my tank for 24-36 hours. Thanks for the help.

Can you give more info on the fish, Are any of the fins torn or ragged, eyes clear or cloudy and are the gills swollen. This may be gill disease (Bacterial) If it is this can be treated with Maracyn-Two or Tetracycline tablets.
Hard to tell in this picture. Do you have any salt in your tank as Mollies are really a Brackish water fish and do better with salt. I use to keep them in my reef tank (something different)

John

Eyes, fins, and tails all look ok. I dont have any salt in the tank because I was going to put other fish, like danioes, algae eater, and maybe a few tetras. If you think those can handle the salt I will add it. Thanks for the help.

Before we started adding live plants we use to use 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water and the fish you mentioned did fine. I forgot to mention if all your mollies are the same sex this could be an injury as they will fight.

John

throw in a few tblsp of salt, it won't hurt your plants or your other fish and your molly will appericate it

that doesn't look like any disease ... I would wait a week and see if the fish gets worse before treating

some of my black mollies have different colors scales on their gills and on their bellies.

hope this helps!

I have never added salt before. Do I add it with every water change as well? Are there any quidelines? Thanks again for the help.

Just add the salt directly to your make up water and dissolve it, I just added 1 tablespoon full to 5/gal water at water change time. Top of water should be plain water. You can get the aquarium salt at any LFS.

John

Back
Top Bottom