New Bowfront 16g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsaqua

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi fellow fish and aquarium lovers!:fish2:

I have a 16g bowfront that I've set up with some live and plastic plants, a couple structures, turquoise and tan gravel, and the filter and heater the setup came with. I added the water along with the conditioner. Yesterday we added 4 tiger barbs and a teensy clown pleco. Then I read up on cycling. OOPs, well I've always done things in a more uncoventional way than normal... Here's hoping for the best! I tested the water earlier and it's remaining within normal values, thus far.

Hi and welcome to AA! I love those bowfront aquariums. Is that an Aqueon 16g BF kit? Well as for adding in those fish before cycling, you will most likely run into problems soon because you added so many at once. Plecos of all sizes are known to have high bioloads, which means that they produce a lot of ammonia! I'm sure you read about ammonia when you read about cycling? If I were you, I would see if the fish store will take those fish back while you go through the cycling process (preferably fish-less). If not, you'll have to do partial water changes every other day and monitor your water parameters closely for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I recommend getting an API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Also, if you're going to keep those fish and do a fish-in cycling, please google that up. There's a ton of info to do it safely for your fish. You can also add in a bottle of Tetra Safe Start to help expedite the beneficial bacteria establishment.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. There's a ton of members on here that have a wealth of knowledge to point you in the right direction.

Oh and one more thing, we love pics! So please post a pic of your new acquisition :)

You will be fine with a fish in cycle as long as you test your water and do wc's as needed. I ended up doing one unexpectedly, I fully intended on doing a fishless cycle... But when my three year old wouldnt stop talking about the fishes house not having any fish... My mom took him out one day and came back with two platys.. So it's been fish in since then! I was able to do once a day wc's and that was enough to keep my water params in check (ammonia at or under .25ppm), did have a few days I had to do daily wc's but that didn't happen but a few times. I just got my first traces of nitrites last night (so excited to finally see that!) on the 3rd day of the 4th week of my cycle. My platys are happy and healthy, I'm waiting on my micky mouse I have her babies :D

Hi fellow fish and aquarium lovers!:fish2:

I have a 16g bowfront that I've set up with some live and plastic plants, a couple structures, turquoise and tan gravel, and the filter and heater the setup came with. I added the water along with the conditioner. Yesterday we added 4 tiger barbs and a teensy clown pleco. Then I read up on cycling. OOPs, well I've always done things in a more uncoventional way than normal... Here's hoping for the best! I tested the water earlier and it's remaining within normal values, thus far.

What sort of test kit do you have? If you are using strips I strongly suggest you invest in a liquid test kit. The API master test kit is a favorite around here. Tests trips are not very accurate and very often you end up thinking your water is fine when it really is not.

If you haven't seen them yet there are some awesome articles in the article section here. This is one I love on fish in cycling

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Mostly you just want to test your water frequently and be sure to do waster changes *** needed. Generally you want your ammo and nitrite below .50 but below .25 is best.

The only thing I would worry about is your stock. I personally wouldn't attempt a school of tiger barbs in a 16 gallon. They can be very nasty little guys. You may have some serious aggression as they mature. Also with a fish in cycle you generally want to start out with a small amount of fish and move your way up. 5 fish out the gate is a little much and you may find you begin to have a hard time controlling your ammo and nitrite levels. Fish in cycles can last upwards of 8 weeks sometimes and that could lead to a lot of water changes. If possible I would think about returning the TBs

thanks

thanks for the advice! I am currently using test strips but will get a test kit. I'm having trouble adding photos to this comment, but have added some to my photo album in my profile.

I've bought my $32 all in one API test kit, a bucket, a hose, and a couple of other supplies. I'll let y'all know the results after I test the water!

I've bought my $32 all in one API test kit, a bucket, a hose, and a couple of other supplies. I'll let y'all know the results after I test the water!

I'd also suggest you test your tap water straight from the tap too. Some water sources will have ammo or nitrate in them and it's always nice to know where your base stands as well.

image-2091710313.jpg

I'm testing right now, with all complete except nitrates. I'll definitely test my tap water, which is well water.

image-2960504351.jpg

My tap water is acidic! The high pH of the aquarium water looks to be on the low high side, so good and everything else appears to be wnl.

You'll need to let your tap water sit out for 12 - 24 hours to get an accurate reading. CO2 will gas off, raising pH to the true value.

Oh! Then I shall do just that and restest it! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom