New boy doing a fishless cycle. Any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinnykh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. So I got my first 33 gallon juwel and decided to do a fishless cycle.
Have I done it right so far? Any tips or pointers please?

Filters in, sand washed and in 2 inch deep, water treated and in, left for 2 days, added 4 live plants and driftwood that was soaked for a week.
Put some evolution pure bacteria balls in. Left for 5 days. Seems all good although a couple h
Of plants have brown spots. Is this normal.
Now after 1 week I added 4ml of ammonia calculated online. I aim to do my first test tomorrow.
So what's the next step?
ThanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406140427.512665.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Can I just say WOW!!! That is one center piece beauty!!! That tank looks amazing. Good job on that. And to be honest if all the tests come back okay get 3-4 hardy fish and you should be all good

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. The ammonia was 1.5 today. May aswell do nitrates later

Bacteria should begin converting the ammonia to nitrite, so begin testing for it. Are you dosing fertilizer for your plants, brown spots aren't normal.

Yeah I agree dose some fertilizers. I suggest some florapride? Maybe your lights are the wrong spectrum. Or your plants where grown out of water and are unused to normal growing.

Also you could grab a bottle of tetra safestart which can really speed up the fishless cycle.

Cheers. I put some tetra aqua safe in yesterday and after 6 days I also put fertiliser in for plants. Maybe I left it too long or there getting use to the tank. Attached a pic of the brown spots.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406358940.235197.jpg

Back
Top Bottom