Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to rhymeswithbear Send a message via Yahoo to rhymeswithbear
New Brackish water tank

I am making my 10 gal into a brackish water tank. What plants would you recommend? I am using sand as a substrate, and I will have some driftwood. The tank will contain some bumblebee gobies.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello Rhymeswithbear,

You could try some java moss, it will attach to your driftwood if left alone for awhile. Java ferns do REALLY well and it attach to stuff too, but to get them to do this your will need to use some fishing line.

I heard that wysteria, hornwort and amazon sword plants does well too. I've never tried them myself.

For plants that has to be planted in the substrate, you would be better of with gravel. Sand is not ideal since it can get quite compact and that makes it hard for the plants to anchor properly. You could leave the sand you already have in your tank and simply add some gravel in the area where you are planning on planting.

The info on this site could help you ;
http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/plants/conditio.htm

and on this site under "setting up the brackish water aquarium" and "Planting the brackish aquarium" section 2d
http://users.macunlimited.net/n.monk...kfaq.html#BM2d

Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to rhymeswithbear Send a message via Yahoo to rhymeswithbear
Thank you! I alos found this website:

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=8

But that is very helpful.... I have not yet set up the tank but I have everything ready. I really want it to come out well so I am trying to figure out what will be best before I set it up.

Tags
brackish, brackish water, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com