New(but old..) 50 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelllll

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey so I found a greaatttt deal for a 50 Gallon aquarium with a stand and a bunch of accessories :) Only everything is really dirty and there are some parts I'm not too sure what exactly they're for. I plan on cleaning everything for the next few days make sure everything is spotless before I start decorating.
I just filled up the tank with water and about 1% bleach and am just going to let it sit for the night so hopefully I could get all the dirt off the glass.
So anyways this thread will sort of serve as a journal? And maybe if anyone could help along the way that would be great.
As for now here's a few pics of the tank and what it came with. Not too sure why there's so many different carbon things..
Also whaatttt is that OPTIMA thing?? And all those pieces of plastic around it? :huh:
So yeah any cleaning tips would really help right now.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20130309_190234.jpg
    20130309_190234.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20130309_231010.jpg
    20130309_231010.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 90
  • 20130309_231455.jpg
    20130309_231455.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20130309_232154.jpg
    20130309_232154.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 96
Hey so I found a greaatttt deal for a 50 Gallon aquarium with a stand and a bunch of accessories :) Only everything is really dirty and there are some parts I'm not too sure what exactly they're for. I plan on cleaning everything for the next few days make sure everything is spotless before I start decorating.
I just filled up the tank with water and about 1% bleach and am just going to let it sit for the night so hopefully I could get all the dirt off the glass.
So anyways this thread will sort of serve as a journal? And maybe if anyone could help along the way that would be great.
As for now here's a few pics of the tank and what it came with. Not too sure why there's so many different carbon things..
Also whaatttt is that OPTIMA thing?? And all those pieces of plastic around it? :huh:
So yeah any cleaning tips would really help right now.
Thanks!

The Optima looks like an air pump, to power bubblers, air stones, etc.; the black pieces around it look like filter cartridge holders of some kind to me...

The Optima looks like an air pump, to power bubblers, air stones, etc.; the black pieces around it look like filter cartridge holders of some kind to me...

Hm yeah maybe but it doesn't have a tube or anything to push the air through? I also got another air pump with 2 tubes and stones. I thought it might be filter related maybe? No?
Yeah I'm still confused about the black things.. Maybe someone will have seen them before..
Here's a picture of the filter it came with(still dirty..). Does it look good enough to handle the whole tank by itself?

Attachments

• 08 filter.jpg
    08 filter.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 91
Hm yeah maybe but it doesn't have a tube or anything to push the air through? I also got another air pump with 2 tubes and stones. I thought it might be filter related maybe? No?
Yeah I'm still confused about the black things.. Maybe someone will have seen them before..
Here's a picture of the filter it came with(still dirty..). Does it look good enough to handle the whole tank by itself?

The Optima is an air pump; it was made by Hagen, who also makes the AquaClear filter you have there. All you have to do is add airline tubing to "push the air through."

As for the filter, that thing REALLY needs to be cleaned well -- it's in bad shape right now. Scrub with hot water but DON'T use soap or any household chemicals. If this model is an AquaClear 110, which it loooks like to me, it can do a 50 gallon by itself. I would always opt for additional filtration though, so adding another HOB at some point would be beneficial.

Actually, that filter looks a bit smaller than a 110 -- probably an AquaClear 70 or so. In that case, I'd get an additional filter for your 50 gallon just to be sure. As a measure, I am running an AquaClear 110 AND an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 on my 60 gallon goldfish tank to ensure the water is super-clean...

Normally, there's no such thing as "too much filtration"...

The Optima is an air pump; it was made by Hagen, who also makes the AquaClear filter you have there. All you have to do is add airline tubing to "push the air through."

As for the filter, that thing REALLY needs to be cleaned well -- it's in bad shape right now. Scrub with hot water but DON'T use soap or any household chemicals. If this model is an AquaClear 110, which it loooks like to me, it can do a 50 gallon by itself. I would always opt for additional filtration though, so adding another HOB at some point would be beneficial.

Actually, that filter looks a bit smaller than a 110 -- probably an AquaClear 70 or so. In that case, I'd get an additional filter for your 50 gallon just to be sure. As a measure, I am running an AquaClear 110 AND an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 on my 60 gallon goldfish tank to ensure the water is super-clean...

Normally, there's no such thing as "too much filtration"...

Okay cool thanks. I probably won't be using it then since I have another air pump with two tubes and nice stones and all that..

Now as for the filter I'm just cleaning it right now. I think I'm going to use either bleach or vinegar to clean it out and then rinse a bunch of times to get it out. I'll get another picture of it once it's cleaned out and maybe you'll be able to tell which one it is? I'm trying to get this set up on a tight budget right now lol so if it'll work for now then that's good and I'll upgrade in time.

Also do you know if all this carbon stuff would be good enough to grow plants with? Or is it something completely different?

Okay cool thanks. I probably won't be using it then since I have another air pump with two tubes and nice stones and all that..

Now as for the filter I'm just cleaning it right now. I think I'm going to use either bleach or vinegar to clean it out and then rinse a bunch of times to get it out. I'll get another picture of it once it's cleaned out and maybe you'll be able to tell which one it is? I'm trying to get this set up on a tight budget right now lol so if it'll work for now then that's good and I'll upgrade in time.

Just be sure to get ALL that bleach out before you hook it up for filtration duties. Does the filter have an uncracked plastic cover on it that is original? If so, it should tell you the model AquaClear it is -- it should say "AquaClear 70" or "110" or whatever it is...let me know if you don't see it...

Also do you know if all this carbon stuff would be good enough to grow plants with? Or is it something completely different?

That's a question for someone who keeps planted tanks; I'm not sure because I don't. But with regard to carbon in general, it's often believed by hobbyists seasoned in this area that the only thing it does is remove medications from a tank when treatment is over, or get rid of odors; for what it's worth, I run the carbon floss cartridges in my Aqueon filter which eventually exhaust, but the floss continues to trap fine debris...on my AquaClear, like the one you have, they normally come from the factory, in the box, with a pouch of carbon to lay on top of the sponge media, just before the layer of BioMax...however, being that my carbon pouch was exhausted a long time ago since buying this filter, I just run the sponge and BioMax sacks since setting up our new Marineland 60 gallon...some people use different media to "substitute" for the carbon in the AquaClear filters, such as Seachem's PURIGEN which I have used and is awesome...it's mainly mechanical filtration, which is to say it is a water "polisher," but it makes the water look almost completely transparent...

Just be sure to get ALL that bleach out before you hook it up for filtration duties. Does the filter have an uncracked plastic cover on it that is original? If so, it should tell you the model AquaClear it is -- it should say "AquaClear 70" or "110" or whatever it is...let me know if you don't see it...

That's a question for someone who keeps planted tanks; I'm not sure because I don't. But with regard to carbon in general, it's often believed by hobbyists seasoned in this area that the only thing it does is remove medications from a tank when treatment is over, or get rid of odors; for what it's worth, I run the carbon floss cartridges in my Aqueon filter which eventually exhaust, but the floss continues to trap fine debris...on my AquaClear, like the one you have, they normally come from the factory, in the box, with a pouch of carbon to lay on top of the sponge media, just before the layer of BioMax...however, being that my carbon pouch was exhausted a long time ago since buying this filter, I just run the sponge and BioMax sacks since setting up our new Marineland 60 gallon...some people use different media to "substitute" for the carbon in the AquaClear filters, such as Seachem's PURIGEN which I have used and is awesome...it's mainly mechanical filtration, which is to say it is a water "polisher," but it makes the water look almost completely transparent...

Niice okay I have the cover and it says AquaClear 200. So I assume that should be plenty good to filter the tank by itself?? I cleaned the filter pretty decent, wasn't able to get everything on there but it looks much better. Letting it dry for now and going to let it sit in just water for a few hours after then wipe it down again and hopefully that'll get rid of all the bleach.

Okay and thanks for all the info on carbon. I honestly thought I could just drop one of these things in the filter and it would kind of replace CO2?lol Guess not eh.. Anyways thanks again for all your help!

Here's a couple pictures of the filter and the top. I'll keep this thread updated as the days go on with pictures and updates of the tank's status :)

Attachments

• 12 filterClean.jpg
    12 filterClean.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 11 filterTop.jpg
    11 filterTop.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 69
Niice okay I have the cover and it says AquaClear 200. So I assume that should be plenty good to filter the tank by itself?? I cleaned the filter pretty decent, wasn't able to get everything on there but it looks much better. Letting it dry for now and going to let it sit in just water for a few hours after then wipe it down again and hopefully that'll get rid of all the bleach.

Okay and thanks for all the info on carbon. I honestly thought I could just drop one of these things in the filter and it would kind of replace CO2?lol Guess not eh.. Anyways thanks again for all your help!

Here's a couple pictures of the filter and the top. I'll keep this thread updated as the days go on with pictures and updates of the tank's status :)

Hey Noel,

No problem; ask away with any questions you have, and if I can't answer them, I am sure more seasoned pros on here could! ;)

Yeah -- just from the looks of that cleaned-up AquaClear of yours (looks much better now; you're doing the right thing by making sure the bleach is all dried out before letting it run on a tank), that's an OLD model, back when Hagen was using a different logo altogether (for their "newer" more modern logo, see my avatar). However, because the model is a "200" doesn't mean it's good for up to a 200 gallon tank -- what Hagen did was change their marketing strategy on these filters so that NOW, the filter names indicate how many gallons they're good for...in other words, for example with my 110 model, that filter is supposed to be good for up to a 110 gallon aquarium (the other modern ACs like the "70" etc. do the same). But back in the era of the AquaClear YOU have, this wasn't the case -- your "200" model doesn't mean it's good for 200 gallons. Here -- take a look at THIS:

AquaClear 50 Power Filter (formerly AquaClear 200) Only $39.99

Apparently, the "200" model you have there has evolved to become the "50" model, so I would guess that your filter should be good for around a 50 gallon tank -- that being said, I would get another filter if you can afford it, or set this one up and then down the line get a second one, just so that you can feel comfortable about your gallons per hour being turned over...(y)

Hey Noel,

No problem; ask away with any questions you have, and if I can't answer them, I am sure more seasoned pros on here could! ;)

Yeah -- just from the looks of that cleaned-up AquaClear of yours (looks much better now; you're doing the right thing by making sure the bleach is all dried out before letting it run on a tank), that's an OLD model, back when Hagen was using a different logo altogether (for their "newer" more modern logo, see my avatar). However, because the model is a "200" doesn't mean it's good for up to a 200 gallon tank -- what Hagen did was change their marketing strategy on these filters so that NOW, the filter names indicate how many gallons they're good for...in other words, for example with my 110 model, that filter is supposed to be good for up to a 110 gallon aquarium (the other modern ACs like the "70" etc. do the same). But back in the era of the AquaClear YOU have, this wasn't the case -- your "200" model doesn't mean it's good for 200 gallons. Here -- take a look at THIS:

AquaClear 50 Power Filter (formerly AquaClear 200) Only $39.99

Apparently, the "200" model you have there has evolved to become the "50" model, so I would guess that your filter should be good for around a 50 gallon tank -- that being said, I would get another filter if you can afford it, or set this one up and then down the line get a second one, just so that you can feel comfortable about your gallons per hour being turned over...(y)

Wow eh it's like they're trying to confuse people.. aha
Alright well that's good to know. Yeah for now I'm just going to set up what I have and run it as is. Once I run into a little more funding another filter will be a priority.

I was actually watching a video of a DIY canister filter last night. Seems pretty simple and cheap. Do you (or anyone) have any experience with something like that?

Here's the video of the instructions::
HOW TO: DIY Canister Filter - YouTube

Wow eh it's like they're trying to confuse people.. aha
Alright well that's good to know. Yeah for now I'm just going to set up what I have and run it as is. Once I run into a little more funding another filter will be a priority.

I was actually watching a video of a DIY canister filter last night. Seems pretty simple and cheap. Do you (or anyone) have any experience with something like that?

Here's the video of the instructions::
HOW TO: DIY Canister Filter - YouTube

Sounds like a plan with regard to the filter situation; do you have any questions on the layering/loading of the media for the AquaClear?

As for the canister, sorry I can't be of more help there, as I never used them. :huh:

Sounds like a plan with regard to the filter situation; do you have any questions on the layering/loading of the media for the AquaClear?

As for the canister, sorry I can't be of more help there, as I never used them. :huh:

Uhh yeah actually lol
I see it says Foam goes on bottom then Activated Carbon in the middle.
What goes on the top, though? And where do those Filter Cartridges go?

Uhh yeah actually lol
I see it says Foam goes on bottom then Activated Carbon in the middle.
What goes on the top, though? And where do those Filter Cartridges go?

Yes, put that FOAM BLOCK on the BOTTOM of the "media basket" that's inside the AquaClear, then place the CARBON, and then you will have to get what is called "BioMax" which is for your BENEFICIAL BACTERIA colony housing; they are ceramic pieces that look like this:

015561114561C.jpg

images

These will sit ON TOP OF your carbon pouch, as the last "layer" in the AquaClear filter -- they don't have to be the AquaClear brand, per se, you can also get the FLUVAL ones as they're also made by Hagen, or you can look around for other ceramic pieces good to grow the bacteria, but to make things simple right now, try and find the AquaClear BioMax. You'll put the ceramic rings in a mesh sack if they don't come packaged like that when you buy them, and place that (my 110 is running with two small sacks of the BioMax because of the way Hagen packages them now -- used to be one big mesh bag that you filled with large ceramic pieces that came in the box with the filters, which I'm sure they still do, but when you buy the BioMax separately, as I did for this new setup, they come in two separate mesh bags for some reason) atop the carbon pouch.

As for the cartridges, those go to another kind of "Hang on the Back" (or HOB) filter other than the AquaClear types -- my Aqueon takes cartridges like this, but the holsters look nothing like your black ones there...I am unsure what filter yours go to, but if you don't have another filter with your package right now, don't worry about 'em...

Yes, put that FOAM BLOCK on the BOTTOM of the "media basket" that's inside the AquaClear, then place the CARBON, and then you will have to get what is called "BioMax" which is for your BENEFICIAL BACTERIA colony housing; they are ceramic pieces that look like this:

015561114561C.jpg

images

These will sit ON TOP OF your carbon pouch, as the last "layer" in the AquaClear filter -- they don't have to be the AquaClear brand, per se, you can also get the FLUVAL ones as they're also made by Hagen, or you can look around for other ceramic pieces good to grow the bacteria, but to make things simple right now, try and find the AquaClear BioMax. You'll put the ceramic rings in a mesh sack if they don't come packaged like that when you buy them, and place that (my 110 is running with two small sacks of the BioMax because of the way Hagen packages them now -- used to be one big mesh bag that you filled with large ceramic pieces that came in the box with the filters, which I'm sure they still do, but when you buy the BioMax separately, as I did for this new setup, they come in two separate mesh bags for some reason) atop the carbon pouch.

As for the cartridges, those go to another kind of "Hang on the Back" (or HOB) filter other than the AquaClear types -- my Aqueon takes cartridges like this, but the holsters look nothing like your black ones there...I am unsure what filter yours go to, but if you don't have another filter with your package right now, don't worry about 'em...

Alright thanks so I'll go pick up some BioMax cartridges one of these days hopefully. I also found this Ammonia Remover with some old stuff I had. This also says it's for the middle layer.. So do I just ignore this and go with the Carbon? Or put them both? Or...

As for updates for the day there isn't much. Did a bit more cleaning to the tank and accessories and everything's pretty much clean. Also I took apart most of the stand and plan on rebuilding the shell because the old one was falling apart and I didn't really like the colour..

Next up I'll be looking to lay out what the tank will look like on the inside. I'm thinking pool filter sand for the substrate. Maybe a nice piece of driftwood and some rocks here and there. Also thinking of maybe lightly planting the tank. Any ideas on easy to maintain plants that would be good to start with?

Attachments

• 15 ammoniaRemover.jpg
    15 ammoniaRemover.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 14 standFrame.jpg
    14 standFrame.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 55
Hey okay so I noticed this little crack on the bottom of the back corner.
It looks like it got cracked and someone tried to fix it with silicone or something.
I had the tank filled with water overnight the other night and all seemed fine.
Does this look like it could be a problem? Or should I not worry about it?

Attachments

• 16 crack.jpg
    16 crack.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 62
IMO I'd be fine my 150g has seen some life and is chipped and nicked in spots , I'd put it near a drain to be safe

Alright thanks so I'll go pick up some BioMax cartridges one of these days hopefully. I also found this Ammonia Remover with some old stuff I had. This also says it's for the middle layer.. So do I just ignore this and go with the Carbon? Or put them both? Or...

From what I have read, you don't have to bother with the "ammonia remover" media insert for these HOBs -- just run the sponge, then perhaps in the middle packs of SEACHEM PURIGEN (as a water polisher and remover of toxic stuff) and then on top the ceramic BioMax rings I indicated above. If you keep on top of water changes, don't overstock or overfeed and keep the right filtration running, your ammonia will be kept in check.

Trust me, from experience -- don't get into putting chemicals into a tank unless absolutely, positively 100 percent necessary (a BAD case of Ich or some other parasite/infection) and instead rely on water changes.

From what I have read, you don't have to bother with the "ammonia remover" media insert for these HOBs -- just run the sponge, then perhaps in the middle packs of SEACHEM PURIGEN (as a water polisher and remover of toxic stuff) and then on top the ceramic BioMax rings I indicated above. If you keep on top of water changes, don't overstock or overfeed and keep the right filtration running, your ammonia will be kept in check.

Trust me, from experience -- don't get into putting chemicals into a tank unless absolutely, positively 100 percent necessary (a BAD case of Ich or some other parasite/infection) and instead rely on water changes.

Okay so sponge/carbon/biomax would be the ideal set up with what I have right now?
I found a filter for a decent price here on Kijiji but it's a Tetra Whisper Power Filter 40, for up to 40 gallons, for $20. Would that with what I have now be good enough? Or should I hold out and wait to find something better?

Also for anyone looking in here I'll be starting setting up the layout of the tank in the next few days and need some ideas for some basic plants maybe? I'm pretty sure I'm going with pool filter sand for substrate. I was thinking getting a nice piece of driftwood and some rocks and probably putting some java moss onto them. I've heard Anubias and Vals to be good for low light tanks and beginners? Would I need soil or something underneath the sand at all? Trying to keep it as simple as possible avoiding CO2 and all that..
Anyways looking for some inspiration on nice combinations. I've been looking online at aquascapes but most of them are far too heavily planted for my liking. Open to all suggestions, thanks! :)

Hey okay so I noticed this little crack on the bottom of the back corner.
It looks like it got cracked and someone tried to fix it with silicone or something.
I had the tank filled with water overnight the other night and all seemed fine.
Does this look like it could be a problem? Or should I not worry about it?

I have a very similar issue with my BRAND NEW Marineland 60 gallon, which appears to have a nick/chip in its glass towards the front corners; I too did the "water fill up and sit overnight" method before we lugged the tank up to the room we were keeping it in, letting it sit in our garage with water in it, and it didn't appear to leak. I am PRAYING this doesn't turn into a crack as well...:banghead::blink::hide:

To make matters so much worse, this would be the SECOND tank in a row for us that would exhibit a crack, resulting, ultimately, in a flood...

Okay so sponge/carbon/biomax would be the ideal set up with what I have right now?

Yes; but I would replace the CARBON when you got around to it with some other form or media for the AquaClear, such as more BioMax bags or perhaps, as I suggested, the water polisher known as "Seachem Purigen."

I found a filter for a decent price here on Kijiji but it's a Tetra Whisper Power Filter 40, for up to 40 gallons, for $20. Would that with what I have now be good enough? Or should I hold out and wait to find something better?

Strange thing about Tetra...don't know if it's the same way in Canada, but in the States, this brand used to be the Rolls Royce of the aquatic hobby -- I recall when I kept tropicals many years ago with my dad, as a boy, and Tetra's original Whisper filter was all the rage and the one you HAD to have. Now, it seems that distinction has gone down the tubes a bit, as this company has been overshadowed by seemingly more "inventive" firms with "better" products for marine life. That being said, the Whisper you found would probably be okay on your tank along with the AquaClear...

Also for anyone looking in here I'll be starting setting up the layout of the tank in the next few days and need some ideas for some basic plants maybe? I'm pretty sure I'm going with pool filter sand for substrate. I was thinking getting a nice piece of driftwood and some rocks and probably putting some java moss onto them. I've heard Anubias and Vals to be good for low light tanks and beginners? Would I need soil or something underneath the sand at all? Trying to keep it as simple as possible avoiding CO2 and all that..
Anyways looking for some inspiration on nice combinations. I've been looking online at aquascapes but most of them are far too heavily planted for my liking. Open to all suggestions, thanks! :)

As I stated, I cannot really assist with planted tanks as I never kept one and don't have the knowledge necessary to suggest anything -- and as for aquascaping and theming, well, I am going through the exact same thing right now with my goldfish setup (see my thread in this section about it) so we're kind of in the same boat with regard to layout/design...:huh:

Alright thank you very much ArtesiaWells for all your help. It's still going to be a few days before I get the filter and all that up and running still working on building the stand right now. I'll also be making a DIY hood with lights for the tank since I can't seem to find anything that'll fit.. So if anyone's interested in seeing how it's done I'll post pics with progress :)

Anyways so I bought a nice piece of driftwood today! I'm thinking it'll probably be the main focal point of the tank. I attached a couple pictures, one up close so you can see what it looks like and one from a bit back to see how big it is in the tank. Still undecided one how everything will be arranged and what type of rocks to get and all that. Pretty sure I've settled on java moss and anubias for the plants. Still up for annnyyy suggestions or anything like that..
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 17 woodClose.jpg
    17 woodClose.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 18 woodFar.jpg
    18 woodFar.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom