New Community tank - What to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so I have been researching quite a bit since posting and I think I've narrowed a few things down.

20 or 29 gallon tank
SunSun HW302 Canister filter ($50 includes Carbon, Ceramic, and Bio Balls media - should I replace the carbon with sponges?)
150w Submersible Heater (Found an Aquatop on Amazon, or something at the LFS)
Marineland (or LFS brand) LED 24" or 30" LED Hood
Black Diamond Sand
API Test Kit
Dip & Pour
Net
Python
*already have dechlorinator

Only things I haven't decided on are deco and fish, but I think I'll work on those in person at the LFS. Thanks for the advice, and I welcome any more advice.

Posting this photo just to give you an idea on size. The stand on the far left has a 29g on the top and a 20l on the bottom. Both nice tanks, the 29g can be a bit more tricky to aquascape and clean because of the added height. Have fun shopping!

img_3271734_0_b3b33ffaef7bbe39481d385a4635bff9.jpg

Posting this photo just to give you an idea on size. The stand on the far left has a 29g on the top and a 20l on the bottom. Both nice tanks, the 29g can be a bit more tricky to aquascape and clean because of the added height. Have fun shopping!

img_3271807_0_b3b33ffaef7bbe39481d385a4635bff9.jpg

So many tanks in one picture! I'm envious

So many tanks in one picture! I'm envious
That was years ago in our third floor apartment. There was also 2x 10g in the actual living room and a couple 5g in the kitchen :hide:

We bought a house since then, really don't have the room for that many tanks anymore :(

Sounds like you have a good plan. I second buying the test kit on Amazon. Our local stores sell them for over $20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I bought the 20 gallon tank off craigslist, but when I got home I got a message about this setup...all for $100. I wasn't planning on going that big, but it seems too good to pass up. The guy selling said he had it set up for a turtle, but it got to big and was transplanted to a pond.
thoughts/advice? Thinking the 20 gal would be a good tank for my sons room or as a QT for the 75 gal.

75 gallon aquarium
2 Marineland 350 canister filters (one I primarily use to swap parts between during cleanings)
75 foot Python (great way to drain and fill aquarium for cleanings)
Canister filters
Some carbon media (not much)
Black wood stand (shown in pics)
Sun light (with extra bulbs)
ultraviolet double light (with bulbs)
Cleaning supplies...

Do it!! That's all worth a couple hundred. If you don't want it the info because I'll buy. I'd use the 20 as qt until you get yours established.

img_3271911_0_b3b33ffaef7bbe39481d385a4635bff9.jpg

Great set up! I bet you miss it!

Yeah that's a great deal. The stand especially. Those cost hundreds new.

Bigger tanks are more fun anyway right?

A South America community has always been my dream. For this tank maybe a pair of Rams, a trio of apistos, a few huge schools of tetras, some cories, a few hatchetfish, and a handful of otocinclus as a cleaning crew.

Yeah that's a great deal. The stand especially. Those cost hundreds new.

Bigger tanks are more fun anyway right?

A South America community has always been my dream. For this tank maybe a pair of Rams, a trio of apistos, a few huge schools of tetras, some cories, a few hatchetfish, and a handful of otocinclus as a cleaning crew.

Well you certainly have plenty of room to do just that! Congrats if you take it! I have this same tank and it's a blast to work with.

http://i.imgur.com/2BFrlRr.jpg

Caleb

To the slight dismay of my wife the deal has been done...the 75 gallon will be picked up Sunday. Cleaned up the 20g today but we didn't have vinegar so it has a few stains still. It will either be used as a second small tank or as a QT tank in the basement.

I will start a new thread when I get the 75 set up. But I'm still thinking black sand and fake plants.....hmmm actually the 20g could be a plant tank to learn/practice....decisions, decisions.....

To the slight dismay of my wife the deal has been done...the 75 gallon will be picked up Sunday. Cleaned up the 20g today but we didn't have vinegar so it has a few stains still. It will either be used as a second small tank or as a QT tank in the basement.

I will start a new thread when I get the 75 set up. But I'm still thinking black sand and fake plants.....hmmm actually the 20g could be a plant tank to learn/practice....decisions, decisions.....

Using as a QT is a good idea and I would recommend it. I've seen many fish this summer that were introduced to a tank and infected the whole system. QT saves a massive headache in the future even if the fish looks fine.

Caleb

Yeah I'd use the 20 as a qt for now also. You'll want to add the fish to your 75g in groups and you can qt any new fish in the 20 for a few weeks before adding them. I personally try not to buy any wild caught fish. They have parasites etc usually.

Yeah I'd use the 20 as a qt for now also. You'll want to add the fish to your 75g in groups and you can qt any new fish in the 20 for a few weeks before adding them. I personally try not to buy any wild caught fish. They have parasites etc usually.

I have a few wild caught myself :) they just require a little more attention at first. I lost a dwarf puffer to parasites.

Both wild caught(to my knowledge):
http://i.imgur.com/FgmXKlK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dS8BdhN.jpg

As well as about all Otocinclus (and most loaches) are wild caught or bred on farms due to the difficulty of breeding them in enclosed systems.

Caleb

Last edited:
I have a new wild caught myself :) they just require a little more attention at first. I lost a dwarf puffer to parasites.

Both wild caught(to my knowledge):
http://i.imgur.com/FgmXKlK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dS8BdhN.jpg

As well as about all Otocinclus (and most loaches) are wild caught or bred on farms due to the difficulty of breeding them in enclosed systems.

Caleb

I just chose not to mess with wild caught. Not sure they are beginner fish either. Cute puffer.

Back
Top Bottom