new crowntail betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
just got my first betta .. he's a dope little crowntail who i've named Master Shredder .. he's in a tiny betta container for now, but soon he'll be a big bowl .. possibly w/ some lucky bamboo or some kind of plant

i'm definitely considering one of the desktop tanks w/ the built in LEDs or something .. i saw one of those tiny, zen-like waterfall tanks today & really dug it .. the coffee table has limited space though lol

i assumed i'd feed regular tropical flakes or some bloodsworms .. good plan?

any suggestions or tips for him would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image-2315231317.jpg
    image-2315231317.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 68
He is a cutie!

I would recommend pellets. Flakes are messy and from my experience, the fish prefer a pellet. Some good brands are Hikari and New Life Spectrum. Both have betta specific pellets.

A temporary small home is fine. Just keep up lots of water changes so that he doesn't get issues from parameters.

How big of a bowl are you wanting to get? Filter? Heater?

I love bettas :) I've always had mine in my community tank though. But I know what waterfall tank you're tanking about, those are pretty rad :) you're feeding plan sounds good to me, that's what mine ate. They make betta pellets but mine never ate them.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
He is a cutie!

I would recommend pellets. Flakes are messy and from my experience, the fish prefer a pellet. Some good brands are Hikari and New Life Spectrum. Both have betta specific pellets.

A temporary small home is fine. Just keep up lots of water changes so that he doesn't get issues from parameters.

Oh.... Well awkward lol. Mine never would eat the pellets, they always ate flakes and bloodworms. But hey maybe trying both would tell you something?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Well, each one has their own tastes. You are using blood worms as a treat, right? And the frozen, not freeze dried?

I don't have him anymore, gave him to my little neighbor, but yes it was frozen and no not just as a treat because he was in a community tank with large fish who ate bloodworms regularly. He was spoiled.

paytertot said:
I don't have him anymore, gave him to my little neighbor, but yes it was frozen and no not just as a treat because he was in a community tank with large fish who ate bloodworms regularly. He was spoiled.

Oh wait.. Not me.. Hahaha

If you want to put lucky lucky bamboo in there, keep in mind it is not an aquatic plant, or rather a semi-aquatic plant, and needs to grow up out of the water, meaning no (or limited) cover on the tank. If you like the bamboo look, maybe try a dried piece or a fake piece? Or if you're looking for plants, there are a lot of great options that look wonderful and do a good job of helping keep the water clean.

Also, as much as they're carnivores, a lot of people feed them warmed, shelled, mushed peas to prevent constipation. There's also a frozen food called Emerald Entree--my betta gets that because I have it for the corys. Once they move out, he'll still get some once a week or so *lol*

He is a cutie!

These are my questions as well. A "big bowl" doesn't sound very large to accommodate a filter and heater; Bettas do best in 80 degree water and at least a 5 gal tank would be optimum. Also they tend to jump so you'd need some sort of lid which may not allow for the Bamboo as it needs to be grown out of the water.

ok i'll try to touch on as much as i can remember lol

my bloodworms are the frozen kind, the bamboo i know has to have the leaves above water (ideal for a bowl), i get that they do better w/ a heater / filter but its a coffee table fish so i aint goin nuts, DEF not starting a 5gal for him (no room) UNLESS i get the waterfall tank or nano tank of some sort

like i said, this dudes a coffee table fish so as long as he seems healthy & not missrable, i'm happy

i'll go check for the pellets when i hit the store. i gave him a tiny flake pinch last night & he did eat it.

i still plan on a big bowl for him but if petco is still having their sale next week i might grab a nano tank .. we shall see

thanks for the tips folks

ronnieroach said:
i still plan on a big bowl for him but if petco is still having their sale next week i might grab a nano tank .. we shall see

Ten gallon and above to cash in on Petco's buck a gallon sale.

Personally, I wouldn't put any fish in anything smaller than a ten gallon. Remember, just because you are happy does not mean the fish is.

Not trying to be a jerk... This is just my opinion.

no i feel ya blert & i def understand what youre saying .. but compared to what this betta's fate could have been (& what it was in) - i think he's gonna have it pretty good

the waterfall nano tank i was talking about is perfect for a betta & is on sale at petco this week as well (i think it was like 50 bucks, all glass, pretty sweet)

i have to go buy a new reptile tank first & then get tattooed but if i have enough to get the nano this week i will .. if not, he gets a big bowl until i can afford a coffee table tank

Back
Top Bottom