New everything! Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grens404

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. So I just received my first tank and I want to do everything right. I have a 75 gallon tank, Aquaclear 110 filter, and a 300 watt heater. People have been telling me to get rid of the 110 and get a canister filter. Those are a little out of my price range. Will the 110 do a good job?

As far as fish go I have a few in mind. I would like Bala sharks but was told my tanks too small. I do, however, would like some barbs. I really like the Denison, Cherry, and Green Tiger barbs. I'm also a fan of the Swordtails. Would I also be able to incorporate a Cichlad in there?

As far as scenery goes I'm looking to get some nice pieces of driftwood in there. I'll be using fake plants for now. I'm torn between sand or gravel. I really like the river rock gravel type deal I see people with. What are the pros and cons of each.

Any help/advice would greatly be appreciated it. Thank you!

Hi everyone. So I just received my first tank and I want to do everything right. I have a 75 gallon tank, Aquaclear 110 filter, and a 300 watt heater. People have been telling me to get rid of the 110 and get a canister filter. Those are a little out of my price range. Will the 110 do a good job?

As far as fish go I have a few in mind. I would like Bala sharks but was told my tanks too small. I do, however, would like some barbs. I really like the Denison, Cherry, and Green Tiger barbs. I'm also a fan of the Swordtails. Would I also be able to incorporate a Cichlad in there?

As far as scenery goes I'm looking to get some nice pieces of driftwood in there. I'll be using fake plants for now. I'm torn between sand or gravel. I really like the river rock gravel type deal I see people with. What are the pros and cons of each.

Any help/advice would greatly be appreciated it. Thank you!

If a Bala shark wasn't a schooling fish it would be fine, but sadly, they are schooling so u need like 125+ to support the school.

Whether you use store bought driftwood or try you own, boil it and try to get most of the tannins out of it, unless you want a black water tank.

Depending on the fish you decide, sand or gravel both have their pros and cons. Scaleless fish like loaches are better in sand because gravel can cut them up. Gravel can trap excess food in the crevices and if not stirred up and vacuumed can cause ammonia issues.

Unless you are looking at Rams, it's best to only keep cichlids with other cichlids and even more so from the same region (African with African, SA with SA).

Also some barbs are very nippy with fins. My tiger barbs are the life of one of my tanks. Very active and playful, but they are one of the nippy types.

Another helpful tip is using AqAdvisor. It will help you decide if your filtration is sufficient and a good recommendation on how much you can stock and whether they Are compatible or not.

Hope this helps :)

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Denison Barbs are a lovely fish. I would build the stock around them ?

Are you doing a planted tank ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422723692.017595.jpg

This is the display tank that I'd love to have someday. @Neptune's in San Jose, CA. Nice group of Denisons in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Denison Barbs are a lovely fish. I would build the stock around them ?

Are you doing a planted tank ?
View attachment 262841

This is the display tank that I'd love to have someday. @Neptune's in San Jose, CA. Nice group of Denisons in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

"I'll be using fake plants for now."

But a 75g is great if you want to give them a shot.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422724249.538546.jpg

This is mine right now in a fish less cycle with some live plants. They take time to grow but as you can tell from Coursair's pic they are well worth the wait and your fish will thank you for it.

Caleb

Not a huge fan of loaches. If I mainly wanted barbs, would gravel be better?

What is AqAdvice?

Www.aqadvisor.com

It helps you with stocking and your level of filtration vs amount of fish. Just input your info and it does the work.

Caleb

I also run a Cascade 1000 canister and a Aquaclear 70 HOB on mine. Nothing wrong with HOB from what I see, canister you just have more room for filter media and any other things you want to put in.

Caleb

So the AC 110 alone will be OK?

What canister do you recommend if I got that route?

look on Amazon at SunSun canisters if money is an issue. Other wise I love my Cascade. I got it on sale for 86 and it works very well and is quiet. No sense paying $300 for a Fluval when other brands work just as well.

Caleb

The AquaClear by itself just depends on your stocking. My barbs are not messy eaters but I can't speak for denisons.

Caleb

I think I'm going to go for the Cascade. The link I showed, what media do I need in addition to that?

I think I'm going to go for the Cascade. The link I showed, what media do I need in addition to that?

If you get the driftwood, activated carbon helps to remove tannins. You can use bio balls or pieces. Look at your LFS, mine sells activated bio media to help speed up the cycling process. Hmm Purigen is a good product. And of course the filter pads.

YouTube has videos saying how best to set up a canister but there is so many choices you can set it up how you like it.

Caleb

Welcome and can't wait to see pics of your progress!

I personally like the HOB filters because of their easy cleaning. If you're worried about filtration, you could always put two in a bigger tank.

As far as planted, no reason not to give it a try! There are a lot of very experienced and helpful folk on here. Many times they're selling extra plants much cheaper and more developed than what could be purchased at a LFS.

Also, keep in mind that while many folks agree about how to run a tank, there is not one "right" way to do it. More important than anything is to be open to learn and do your own research in conjunction.

That was my $0.02. Glad to have you aboard and start posting some more pictures!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back
Top Bottom