New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a new filter for my birthday. It's the same exact filter I have now. To replace: how do I do this? Install new filter but use old media?
Add it into the other side with new cartridges but leave the other one on for awhile?
What should I do?
I would like to do double filtration if possible. (I'm not allowed to have two going.... BUUUUT I can temporary and say it to keep my tank from cycling again LOL)
Thanks!

If you can run them both for as long as possible. More is better when it comes to filtration. I have always over filtered all of my tanks!

My mom. Is strict and believes it will cost too much electricity. Even when I offer to pay 10 bucks a month

Water isn't pouring out like it should. Weak motor I believe. Correct filter pads, dial is turned to full... Just a weaker motor after lots of use from previous CL owner plus me.

One more question how often should I change the filter pads? I understand to wash with each water change but when should I replace? If it's until they're literally falling apart (I've heard that before) how long about will that be?
It's a tetra power whisper - uses large filter pads

One more question how often should I change the filter pads? I understand to wash with each water change but when should I replace? If it's until they're literally falling apart (I've heard that before) how long about will that be?
It's a tetra power whisper - uses large filter pads
You could wash them with every water change but that's not really necessary. You'll soon learn when they need to be rinsed. As you said, only change them when they are falling apart. Sponges last a long time. If you have a couple of pads, when replacing, only one at a time, a few weeks apart....

Back
Top Bottom