New filter but the water is not clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrek_vn2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just installed an XP2 filter for my 29GL but the water is not clear... it's cloundy... What should I do? I do 5GL water change every week. I'm getting confused as i thought the 2 HOB filters dont work properly so I bough an XP2 filter in hope the water will get clear. But it doesnt...

Please help,
Thanks

What filter did you have on the tank before? Did you run them both in parallel for a while?

Cloudy water is typically a sign of a bacteria bloom, I'd keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrIte levels until it clears.

When you switch to a new filter, is usually recommended to run both filters in parallel for a week or two to get the new filter media seeded with bacteria. That, or you could've actually crammed in teh filter media from the old filter into the XP2.

If it is in fact a bacteria bloom, like I said just watch your water parameters and it will clear itself, usually within a week or so.

What filter did you have on the tank before? Did you run them both in parallel for a while?

Cloudy water is typically a sign of a bacteria bloom, I'd keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrIte levels until it clears.

When you switch to a new filter, is usually recommended to run both filters in parallel for a week or two to get the new filter media seeded with bacteria. That, or you could've actually crammed in teh filter media from the old filter into the XP2.

If it is in fact a bacteria bloom, like I said just watch your water parameters and it will clear itself, usually within a week or so.

Thanks...
I have AquaClear 30 and another came with the tank kit... I just installed the new xp2 filter a day ago but i did take the two HOB out... I'll put them back when i get home today ... (in office now) ... I will also need to buy some test kit for nitrite and ammonia and will wait to see in few days...

Thanks....

I took the ammonia quick dip and the result is .5 (stress level) ! no good.... i need to change water tomorrow...

If your old filter media never dried out, put it into the XP2s basket where they would have had you put the carbon. That way the old media can seed your new filter. If your old media did dry out, you are at day one of a fish-in cycle with a new filter. If you can do so, get a liquid reagent type test kit and ditch the strips. The strips are in general not as reliable and if you are starting a new cycle you will need to do lots of testing.

Thanks,
I threw the filter pad of my AquaClear away... but I put old ceramic balls on the top of the carbon. I'm not sure what carbon and ceramic ball used for? There are plenty space of the top basket where i put carbon and a pad. SHould i buy some more ceramic ball?

Thanks

I fear you threw away all the beneficial bacteria living on your old filter pads. You may find yourself at the beginning of a cycle, although if you put the ceramic balls from your old filter into the new one, things may not be so bad. You're just going to have to closely monitor your tanks water params and take action accordingly until things stablise. Also, I suggest you swap to liquid test kits. Strips are generally not worth the money you pay for them.

Agree with Neilanh about your cloudiness being a bacterial bloom. It should clear by itself in a few days.

hummm... just bought strip test yesterday !! i definitely should ask questions before i buy something!! inexperience = money!!!
:(

Thanks

If you have any foam elements in the cannister, wiping the inside of the tank glass will seed them. Every surface in the tank will have nitrifying bacteria on it. So, while you aren't really at day one of a cycle, because there is a population of nitrifying bacteria already in the tank, there may not be neough of them to carry the whole load. A 50% wtaer change would be the order of the day if you are getting ammonia readings, and that would be now, not tommorrow.

If you have any foam elements in the cannister, wiping the inside of the tank glass will seed them. Every surface in the tank will have nitrifying bacteria on it. So, while you aren't really at day one of a cycle, because there is a population of nitrifying bacteria already in the tank, there may not be neough of them to carry the whole load. A 50% wtaer change would be the order of the day if you are getting ammonia readings, and that would be now, not tommorrow.

Thanks...
Yeah I did change 50% water... and after 2 days it getting better now... Not completely clear but much better...
I also order a test kit so I test the water...

Back
Top Bottom