New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kt23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got another 65 gallon tank and I wanted to maybe have a betta In there but I was wondering if I went with a betta what other kind of fish mAy I put in there????

If you have a 65 I would say put the betta in a 5 gallon aquarium and start a nice community tank. You could have hatchet fish for the top. Neon tetras, gold barbs, and pearl gouramis for the mid water section. Then you could have cories and plecos for the bottom.

I wouldn't get a betta. Sometimes Bettas don't allow anything else to be in the tank with them, and if the betta you get does that, having just one betta would be a huge waste of a 65 gallon tank! I personally love African Cichlids and a 65 gallon would be big enough to get some.

I love having bettas in community tanks and mine never bother anyone I keep them with angel fish, glo lite tetras, thread fin rainbow fish,Cory catfish, and panda catfish. I've had them in several other community tanks over the years as well never really had a problem with it.

I would be more worried about others nipping the bettas fins then I would about the betta getting aggressive in my experience they're pretty chill little dudes I'm assuming you're getting a male cause they're awesome that's all I've ever had

Well I already have one but they don't swim around or nothing and i want to set up a tank I can look at and have fish being active

I meet to say I already have another 65 gallon tank set up with platty and guppy and Molly they don't do much so it's not fun to look at

You should pick some kind of "center piece" fish that gets larger like angel fish or maybe discus then work around that like a nice big school of neons then add the Betta in the mix go with a few kinds of catfish to add some action to the bottom maybe a dojo loach their cool 65 is pretty big you could do a lot with it

Well I have 3 female platty 2 male platty 1 female guppy 1 male guppy 4 neon tetras 4 zebra danios 1 rainbow shark.. But there boring to watch idk what's wrong with my set up or could it be that the filters moving the water to fast?. I'm new at this I tought I had everything under control

Jesselav1233 said:
You should pick some kind of "center piece" fish that gets larger like angel fish or maybe discus then work around that like a nice big school of neons then add the Betta in the mix go with a few kinds of catfish to add some action to the bottom maybe a dojo loach their cool 65 is pretty big you could do a lot with it

Umm I don't think discus would work as a centrepiece fish only because they are schooling fish and do better in a species tank. You could try german blue rams , pearl Gouramis or angelfish. They could all work

Umm I don't think discus would work as a centrepiece fish only because they are schooling fish and do better in a species tank. You could try german blue rams , pearl Gouramis or angelfish. They could all work

I would try an angelfish. I dont know much about pearl gouramis, but I know that GBRs are very sensitive to water conditions.

bud29 said:
I would try an angelfish. I dont know much about pearl gouramis, but I know that GBRs are very sensitive to water conditions.

Yeah mine are. Luckily there parameters are 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and 5ppm nitrate and their ph is 7.6 in my tank.

Yeah I would love to have a pair of GBRs, but my tap water is really bad so even if I take excellent care of them, they could still die easily.

Just becareful with hatchetfish have a tendancy to jump out of the tank. They are great little fish though. I also think the rams would look great in such a big tank. I hope you plan to add lost of plants. A big centerpice sword would be awesome and set off the blue of the GBR's.
Best Wishes on your build!

Ok thanks a lot for all the advice I really appreciate it.

One last question would there be any kind of snake looking fish I could put in my tank that wont eat or bother the other fish??

Samzter said:

I have discus living with cories neons silver Tetras and a loach it's may favorite tank so it can be done

Back
Top Bottom