New Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No otos. Most won't eat prepared foods, so you need lots of algae.

Blue Rams are not begginer fish, either. Try a bolivian. They are much more forgiving.
Also, rams are pretty peaceful.

I personally wouldn't go with a Dwarf Gourami unless you get one from a local breeder. Most of the gouramis lately get sick from DGD, or Dwarf Gourami Disease. Which could kill every fish in the tank.

Do what ever you want, just make sure you run it by us first.

Is this a beginner's tank?

What do u mean beginners tank?

A first time aquarist who has never had a tank before. Some fish require a mature and healthy tank and stable environment and can't handle mistakes that are commonly made my a beginner (example... putting a blue ram in a cycling tank, rams are sensitive to water params and need pristine water conditions) to the hobby that some experienced would know to avoid and how to handle.

Well I am new to aquariums, but my boyfriend is very skilled. He's more into saltwater though. I'm trying to do all the research I can before picking out my fish. It's somewhat complicated though, ill see ones I'm interested in then to find ones that are compatible it's hard. Like for example: I want rummy nose tetras, but they like warm water above 78* and I want otos that like it 78* and below. It's hard to please them all. Lol.

Well I am new to aquariums, but my boyfriend is very skilled. He's more into saltwater though. I'm trying to do all the research I can before picking out my fish. It's somewhat complicated though, ill see ones I'm interested in then to find ones that are compatible it's hard. Like for example: I want rummy nose tetras, but they like warm water above 78* and I want otos that like it 78* and below. It's hard to please them all. Lol.

Just remember not to try and mimick natural conditions found in the wild. Fish will adapt just fine. Stability is more important. Main thing to
Remember is to not mix goldfish with tropical fish. Other than that I would worry more about compatibility, example the fishes aggression levels etc.

Update on my tank. I went with 2 rummy nosed tetras at first, but since I use RO/DI water the hardness was 0 so they died. That sucked. So I got the water all straightened out and now so far I just have 2 Salt and Pepper Cory's and 2 Bolivian Butterfly Rams. The Cory's are thriving. I just put the Rams in today, but they are already eating and seem to be doing great. Being a beginner I thought the RO/DI water was the best water you could use and had no clue about hardness issues. That's something that probably should be discussed more :)

Back
Top Bottom