New fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today I went to a new pet store and thought I'd it try out before I buy online. I ended up picking up 3 albino pristellas (would have picked up more but that's all they had!). I fell in love with them and couldn't NOT get them. Googling I found out they are blushing pristellas, but i cant find much other info on them! they should have more Thursday. I also ended up getting SIXTEEN ghost shrimps! I only wanted 5! But the lady put so many in there (oh well just 2$!).

My questions are-

does anyone have any info on these albino pristellas? They are gorgeous. They have long shimmery fins, white milky body and "blush" on checks. Also a bleeding heart as well! They just look so graceful. I will definitely add pics tomorrow when it's daytime. The lady (who was the "fish expert") sold them to me as emperor tetras! Even though I told her they were pristellas. I didn't want to argue with her anymore so I hope 3$ isn't a bad price for them. She even tried to get me to get these long finned white tetras that didn't look like pristellas (like the X-ray body and big black eye) and tell me they were same fish! Anyways off my rant.

Would 16 shrimp be horrible to put in my 30 gallon? There are 4 Khulis and soon 3 albino tetras (but hopefully 8 or so by next week). They dont seem like alot looking at them, but 16 is a huge number. I worry they will over run my tank!

Lastly, with this stock (which is so different than my original and dream stock-Khulis, chili rasboras and gouramis), what would be a nice reddish or orange fish to add? Would chili rasboras be too small or bad (as it would be 2 schooling fish)? Or would honey gouramis be nipped by the tetras? Sorry so many questions! Just so excited.

So today I went to a new pet store and thought I'd it try out before I buy online. I ended up picking up 3 albino pristellas (would have picked up more but that's all they had!). I fell in love with them and couldn't NOT get them. Googling I found out they are blushing pristellas, but i cant find much other info on them! they should have more Thursday. I also ended up getting SIXTEEN ghost shrimps! I only wanted 5! But the lady put so many in there (oh well just 2$!).

My questions are-

does anyone have any info on these albino pristellas? They are gorgeous. They have long shimmery fins, white milky body and "blush" on checks. Also a bleeding heart as well! They just look so graceful. I will definitely add pics tomorrow when it's daytime. The lady (who was the "fish expert") sold them to me as emperor tetras! Even though I told her they were pristellas. I didn't want to argue with her anymore so I hope 3$ isn't a bad price for them. She even tried to get me to get these long finned white tetras that didn't look like pristellas (like the X-ray body and big black eye) and tell me they were same fish! Anyways off my rant.

Would 16 shrimp be horrible to put in my 30 gallon? There are 4 Khulis and soon 3 albino tetras (but hopefully 8 or so by next week). They dont seem like alot looking at them, but 16 is a huge number. I worry they will over run my tank!

Lastly, with this stock (which is so different than my original and dream stock-Khulis, chili rasboras and gouramis), what would be a nice reddish or orange fish to add? Would chili rasboras be too small or bad (as it would be 2 schooling fish)? Or would honey gouramis be nipped by the tetras? Sorry so many questions! Just so excited.

16 ghost shrimp should be fine in a 30 gallon. I wouldnt get any more, but no need to rehome what you currently have.

For the red fish, you could still get around 12 chili rasbora, and for a centerpiece you should be able to get that honey gourami.

16 ghost shrimp should be fine in a 30 gallon. I wouldnt get any more, but no need to rehome what you currently have.

For the red fish, you could still get around 12 chili rasbora, and for a centerpiece you should be able to get that honey gourami.

Whew that's good. I was about to just give a few shrimp away lol. I see this morning a few were eaten! Half bodies stuck to filter and see the tetras hunting them lol.

I have another (probably really silly) question. Would the shrimp bother my Khulis? Like bite or move them out their hiding places?

image-47399387.jpg

Picture! Best one out of like 20. Wish I could have had taken more but my toddler was climbing all over me yelling "FISH! FISH!" Lol.

Picture! Best one out of like 20. Wish I could have had taken more but my toddler was climbing all over me yelling "FISH! FISH!" Lol.

They're beautiful! Don't think I've seen those in my lfs.
Your kuhli should be fine with your shrimp, i keep mine with Amano's and have no issues :)

The shrimp shouldn't bother the kuhlis too much, at least not to the extent that the loaches get really stressed out.

Ghost shrimp can be touchy, others can be super hardy. There are several different types of shrimp sold under the name ghost shrimp - After seeing all the EXTREMELY different experiences people have had with them, my guess would be that some of the species are much more hardy than others. I have, however, done no research to prove my little theory. If the water parameters are fine and they are still dying, you really cant do anything about it.

They're beautiful! Don't think I've seen those in my lfs.
Your kuhli should be fine with your shrimp, i keep mine with Amano's and have no issues :)

They're just so airy and delicate. The photo doesn't do them justice, their fins shimmer when they swim =) I love them!

I got the shrimp to get my feet wet on shrimp. I plan on getting bamboo shrimp later, maybe little Amanos for just a planted nano tank (someone on here said "fish should really come with a warning", they really should. I'm finding reasons to get more tanks the more I read on fish/look at ther people's tanks!). I'm sort of happy a few have been hunted! I felt like 16 was alot. I see one of them is pregnant! So that will be exciting. Guess I should put a panty hose over my filter, I imagine many of the small ones have made there already. Didn't even think about that! The shrimp are cool too. They just zip around the tank and do silly things.

I forgot to say the tetras are doing well too! I think i like this fish store. If it were petsmart they would have been a death already! Crossing my fingers they survive QT! Oh and their true names are blushing Pristella maxillaris.

I have three albino pristellas too! Gorgeous fish! :) these fish are made of steel. When my nitrites went through the roof, they survived, when I accumulated them wrong, they survived, when I overfeed them, they survived.
I absolutely love mine.
They get along great with all types of fish! I had them with two mollies and Betta and they were great! And when the Mollies died and weren't noticed for two hours after they died, they survived.
If you find anything fishy (pun intended) about the pristellas, just PM me.

They definitely are very nice. They kind of remind me of white skirt tetras.

They were in a tank full of them! The lady tried to tell me they were them at first.

I have three albino pristellas too! Gorgeous fish! :) these fish are made of steel. When my nitrites went through the roof, they survived, when I accumulated them wrong, they survived, when I overfeed them, they survived.
I absolutely love mine.
They get along great with all types of fish! I had them with two mollies and Betta and they were great! And when the Mollies died and weren't noticed for two hours after they died, they survived.
If you find anything fishy (pun intended) about the pristellas, just PM me.

Weird we both have 3! I hope to get more this week. I feel bad only 3 but they seem happy and swim everywhere! Totally unskiddish.

Weird we both have 3! I hope to get more this week. I feel bad only 3 but they seem happy and swim everywhere! Totally unskiddish.

Yeah :) my LFS only had 3 in stock when I got mine too! I'd suggest waiting until your tank is cycled before getting more pristellas though.

Yeah :) my LFS only had 3 in stock when I got mine too! I'd suggest waiting until your tank is cycled before getting more pristellas though.

My tank is way cycled. It's been running since jan? And stable/cycled for months (march? Been so long!). I just haven't found fish i like or that will stay alive (not by me, just the quality! I have posts upon posts on this!) until now. i was lucky to stumble on a new LFS! That clearly has good fish (petsmart fish would have all been dead by now!). Right when I was about to try online sources.

My tank is way cycled. It's been running since jan? And stable/cycled for months (march? Been so long!). I just haven't found fish i like or that will stay alive (not by me, just the quality! I have posts upon posts on this!) until now. i was lucky to stumble on a new LFS! That clearly has good fish (petsmart fish would have all been dead by now!). Right when I was about to try online sources.

Oh ok :D well, best of luck with your abinos!

Oh ok :D well, best of luck with your abinos!

You too! They are so funny to watch. They will just float around and randomly dart fast after a pond snail or plant! When I was vacuuming yesterday they were going after it and following leaves/dirt going up the vac. Such hunters

The shrimp are so cool! (I sound like a 12 yr old!) they zip around so fast ad just switch directions in less than a second. It is funny when they swim backwards too.

I was wondering where should I make a thread on just my tank? Like how you see people's "so and so's X gallon tank thread". Because I just took pics of the shrimps and Khulis and don't want to keep adding them here and boring everyone LOL. And I can just talk incessantly there about my tank and how it's going, and ask questions there rather make a kazillion threads!

You could put pic's of your tank in members freshwater showcase :)

Thank you! I think I will =3 I mean where else/who else can I show my pics of fish to? Everyone else will think I'm crazy lol.

It's been raining hard all week so just been pent up in the house and taking many pics of My tank. Just kind of embarrassed my tank isn't as well filled out or decorated as most on here!

Back
Top Bottom