New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just recently had to get rid of 3 4-inch turquoise rainbows because of their aggressiveness. Any ideas of what I should get? They have to be a peaceful community fish.

I just recently had to get rid of 3 4-inch turquoise rainbows because of their aggressiveness. Any ideas of what I should get? They have to be a peaceful community fish.

First, give us some details of your tank ( stock, temp, etc ).
And do you want schooling fish or singular fish?

First, give us some details of your tank ( stock, temp, etc ).
And do you want schooling fish or singular fish?

It's a 20 gallon freshwater. It's about 76°. Schooling or singular are both fine I just need peaceful fish that won't hurt my smaller fish like my gudgeon.

It's a 20 gallon freshwater. It's about 76°. Schooling or singular are both fine I just need peaceful fish that won't hurt my smaller fish like my gudgeon.

Would you want smaller fish as well? Or bigger ones?
Harlequin rasboras are great schoolers. So are cardinal tetras, swordtails, platys, Cory cats, kuhli loach, hatchetfish, etc.
Dwarf gouramis are great singular centerpiece fish.

I am having to rehome one of my Boesmani males due to aggression. So yeah. They can be aggressive.

As for your tank. A nice school of some kind of Tetra, emperor, rummy nose, black skirt. Or maybe some Rasbora? I also like Scarlet Badis.

I am having to rehome one of my Boesmani males due to aggression. So yeah. They can be aggressive.

As for your tank. A nice school of some kind of Tetra, emperor, rummy nose, black skirt. Or maybe some Rasbora? I also like Scarlet Badis.

So the boesmani are breeding or is it just one male by himself in the tank?

Ok thanks! I was looking into some rasboras and tetras. Ill take a look at the others.

Would you want smaller fish as well? Or bigger ones?
Harlequin rasboras are great schoolers. So are cardinal tetras, swordtails, platys, Cory cats, kuhli loach, hatchetfish, etc.
Dwarf gouramis are great singular centerpiece fish.

Small or big fish work. I've looked at the rasboras and already have a dwarf gourami. Ill look at the others. I wanted to get some kuhli loaches but I heard they were aggressive.

Small or big fish work. I've looked at the rasboras and already have a dwarf gourami. Ill look at the others. I wanted to get some kuhli loaches but I heard they were aggressive.

What!!!!! Kuhli loaches aggressive?!?! They are extremely shy. They do best in groups of at least 5. I have 12 and have not seen any aggression.

What!!!!! Kuhli loaches aggressive?!?! They are extremely shy. They do best in groups of at least 5. I have 12 and have not seen any aggression.

Hmm thanks. My friend was wrong then. Ill probably get those. Don't they bury themselves? How would I feed them?

Hmm thanks. My friend was wrong then. Ill probably get those. Don't they bury themselves? How would I feed them?

They will only bury themselves and hide when in small groups. That's why I said to have at least 5. The larger group they are in, the braver they are. And you can feed them algae wafers, tubifex worms, etc ( anything that sinks to the bottom ). And yes, your friend was definitely wrong if he said kuhli loaches were aggressive.

Sometimes they'll burrow into sand or fine gravel, other times they'll hide in and under wood, plants, decor etc. they are scavengers, so they aren't picky about food. Mine are among the first to rest out whether anything that's fallen into the tank is edible or not :)

Back
Top Bottom