New Fish Mommy in Need of Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emily__paige_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I decided to start small I got a 10 gallon starter kit from Top fin. I was so excited and watched a ton of videos and reading forums to prepare for this. I cleaned the tank with only water as well as the gravel and other plants. I added water conditioner and a bacterial supplement because I wanted to get the nitrogen cycle going. I decided to get two neon tetras and two other tetras. I acclimated them to the tank by floating the bag for 30 minutes and then draining some water and adding some tank water to the bag slowly. Once I added them to the tank they looked happy and I left them to go eat dinner. I checked on them right after dinner and they were fine. So I went for a run and when I came back one of the neon tetras was lying on the gravel fighting for life. I googled what to do but the only thing it said was the dose the tank with a specific oil to put him out of his misery but then it would kill all the other fish. Also, the other neon tetra is no where to be seen. I thought perhaps it was sucked into the filter (even though I have a protector on it but maybe it was small and slipped through) so I checked the filter and he is not in there. I was assured by the man at the fish store that they would get along and they were in the same tank already so I don't think they ate eachother. I'm very concerned and confused about what to do. What can I do to save my tank and why do you think he died/is dying (and where is the other one)?

Do you have a test kit? Check the water. If levels show ammonia. Do a water change.Might try turning off the light and feeding them to make them come out.

Do you have a test kit? Check the water. If levels show ammonia. Do a water change.Might try turning off the light and feeding them to make them come out.
Yes I have a water test kit and everything is reading safe. I tried feeding them but none of them ate anything and the other still didn't come out. [emoji22]

I hate to say it but have just learned how delicate neon tetras are. Definitely turn the lights off. Don't worry about feeding them they can go a long time without food. Wait until morning and then see if they come out also check your levels for ammonia. Bacteria in a bottle is notoriously bad. Most ends up either giving you unstable parameters or is just an over priced bottle of water.

I hate to say it but have just learned how delicate neon tetras are. Definitely turn the lights off. Don't worry about feeding them they can go a long time without food. Wait until morning and then see if they come out also check your levels for ammonia. Bacteria in a bottle is notoriously bad. Most ends up either giving you unstable parameters or is just an over priced bottle of water.
Will definitely try that! Should my other two be okay? They aren't neon tetras. I'm not sure exactly what kind they are (I know I should but when I was at the store I forgot to take a picture of the label) they are silverish white with a black areas down the end of their body to their tail. They are still swimming together but now that we have one fatality and one missing fish I'm worried.

Okay so now one of the other tetras died and it's partner is no where to be seen! Any advice? I've looked all around for him!

It sounds like the tank was never cycled, which would easily kill sensitive fish like neons. I would read about fishless cycling if all the fish are dead/gone, and if there are any survivors you'll want to read about fish in cycling.

Do you have a air stone in the tank? What's the temp? Tetra's are a bit tricky. And they vary. Some do good others are sensitive. It's a hit or miss game. Imo I got 2 neons in hard water, and I read alot on how they are soft water might be how you add them too. I added mine very slowly, with lights off. And to top it off they had ich very stressed out. And I even used salt to heal them. Now they've been doing fine. So, maybe I just got a hardy couple. I'd try the no light thing for a while. Take a flash light to it quickly here and there to check. I hope you find them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom