new fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kohan Bros.

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi have my first sw reef tank up and running but i have always loved being able to watch fish feed live so i was planing on haveing a piranha but i was wondering if a 29gal tank would work or up to a 55gal any advise would help a tom tia

I am not aware that anyone here keeps piranha. You may have to do soem "leg work" and post info on piranha here and then we can help out. We may also be able to offer an alternative to the piranha, if you want a live food eater.

I know a guy that sadly had 3 piranha in a 30g tank. Needless to say, one of the fish ate the other two. Now I have his 30g sitting in my garage. No more tank for him! :D

I had 2 red bellies in my 33 gallon and they grew fast and didnt bother each other. If you want to see fish feed i wouldnt go with piranhas, they constantly hide and only seem to eat when you leave the room.

Fish_fanatic said:
If you want to see fish feed i wouldnt go with piranhas, they constantly hide and only seem to eat when you leave the room.
I've heard that story several times. Even from other boards dealing strictly with live eaters. You might try other south american cichlids. I know there are several oscar, convict, jack dempsey, etc. keepers here on AA.com

I safely had 4 red bellies in a 30 gallon tank. And, like it was said before, they rarely came out to play, unless you put a ton of goldfish in with them. Red bellies are great fish, I'm planning on buying some more. (had to give the others away, moved and all)

Lakota

Back
Top Bottom