New Fish Tank / First Fish Tank help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LukeJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

Two days ago I bought a 28 liter cold water fish tank. My tank has been running for two days without fish while the dechlorinator cycles through.

I've bought a moss ball and another plant that was from exisiting fish tanks from a pet store. My main question is has that moss ball introduced benefical bacteria into my tank making it safe for fish?

Not in 2 days , no way.

Do a search on cycling a tank and there are a couple different routes you can go.

A couple things I would suggest

Buy a test kit if you do not have one

Be patient , things take time to get established

Do your homework , use search here and Google. Tons of information available out there.

Good luck

It would help if you could also get some water from an established tank to add to yours.

Established filter media from a friends filter , a media bag full of sub-straight would help you. Maybe someone on here is close to you and can help you out. Location??

I think that tank is too small for fish-in cycle. Research fishless cycle and see if that works for you. What are your stocking plans?

Sent from my E2303 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update

Update:

My stocking plans have changed now that i have to buy a heater due to my house not even be able to get the water to room tempature. It's sitting at around 10 Degress C. So I'm going to stock my tank with a single Betta or somthing similar.

Thanks for the advice about the fishless cycle and Testing kits. I couldn't bring myself subjecting a single fish to bad water for the benefit of future fish.
my stocking plants are 1 moss ball. 1 pond weed plant

Also. Ive added some fish food to start rotting to start the cycle

Update:

My stocking plans have changed now that i have to buy a heater due to my house not even be able to get the water to room tempature. It's sitting at around 10 Degress C. So I'm going to stock my tank with a single Betta or somthing similar.

Thanks for the advice about the fishless cycle and Testing kits. I couldn't bring myself subjecting a single fish to bad water for the benefit of future fish.
my stocking plants are 1 moss ball. 1 pond weed plant

Also. Ive added some fish food to start rotting to start the cycle

Glad we could help! There's some cool fish you can put in a 28 liter tank with a heater :) Many users here breed GORGEOUS endlers livebearers; a trio would be nice in your tank :) And of course bettas are always great :D

With a single betta, you could keep some Caridina-shrimps. There are many colourful species to choose from, most of which are quite small and reproduce readily in freshwater. They like java moss and similar plants. Their bioload is very small. The betta could be aggressive towards them, though.

Good luck!

Sent from my E2303 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom