New Fishy business ---- Setting up and stocking a 50 gal, ideas & suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mllalvarado

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My husband and me live in Germany....He just purchased a 50 gallon tank for me. I love it, however, I don't know how to go about setting it all up. I don't know what kind of pump I need or fish. I know I want bubbles in my tank and colorful freshwater fish. I don't know what size of fish or what kind that would be. Please send suggestions!!!:confused:

Hi and welcome to AA!!

I am changing your thread title so people will actually look at it ... right now it sounds like a SPAM for a new fish store .... :)

I would suggest you post some ideas of what kind of fish you might want, perhaps look at some of the fish at the lfs, and some sites. A lot of how you set up your tank depends on what fish you want.

This is a pretty good list of all the common aquarium fish:
List of freshwater aquarium fish species - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds like you might be interested in a community tank. This would be some ideas:
Community fish, what fish can you keep together in your aquarium

Also suggest you keep this as your fish keeping bible (really good beginner guide):
Beginner FAQ: Contents
and read about cycling:
Nitrogen Cycle

Look up the fishless cycle first! It takes some time, but it's less work and you don't have to worry about killing your fish.

If you're in Germany, check out Eheim filters. Get a filter that's rated for about a 100 gallon tank. Manufacturers like to overrate their filtration products. I'd think about a canister filter on your tank.

Back
Top Bottom