New Freshwater Question : RO/DI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question for all you freshwater experts.

What do you think about the use of RO/DI water for fillup/water chages on a freshwater tank?

Since I'm only experienced with the saltwater I don't know the answer to my own question. I was thinking about starting a freshwater tank and wanted the expert advice/suggestion on this topic.

Thanks

If used partially, you can use it to soften water, etc.....but alone there are not enough minerals, etc in the water, so you would need to replace them....really not worth it unless you have some wicked hard water.

Thanks for the response. So water straight out of the tap is fine? I've checked the TDS of my tap water (which I don't know how much that matter for freshwater) and it's around 40.

I use water straight out of the tap with dechlor added, and I don't have any problems. I keep 7 tanks that way. :mrgreen:

A TDS reading of 40 is really soft for FW.. you could easily spawn soft water species of fish in that water.. Just check to make sure you have a KH of at least 3 or 53ppm (TDS is a great measurement but it gives me no clue as to your buffering capacity to prevent PH drops)

My tap water kills fish. I have been using store bought ro water for a few years now. I put a different mix of salts in them to make the water acceptable for the fish. IMO it's the best way to go if you are willing to do the work--fish may live in any pH but many will not breed unless optimum conditions are met.

Back
Top Bottom