New FreshWater Tank help and ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm switching over my 6g from saltwater to fresh and I cleaned all the media and tank (with vinegar not salt) how long should I let the tank run to make sure all the salt is cleaned out? I was thinking of maybe a male beta. I have a fluval edge and it seems like a good idea but if anyone else has an other fish idea or any kind of input I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

harryggumb said:
I'm switching over my 6g from saltwater to fresh and I cleaned all the media and tank (with vinegar not salt) how long should I let the tank run to make sure all the salt is cleaned out? I was thinking of maybe a male beta. I have a fluval edge and it seems like a good idea but if anyone else has an other fish idea or any kind of input I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

I'm not sure about the timeframe, never moved from salt to fresh!

Your options are a little limited with such a small tank but there are some great ones out there! My list is as follows:

Dwarf Croaking Gourami (tiny Gourami with some great blue shades)
Badis Badis (small fish where the male has excellent red coloring)
Boraras species (small red Rasboras)
Endlers Livebearers (Livebearers that look like they have been painted)
Corydoras Pygmaeus (small Corydoras that enjoy swimming in the middle of the tank as opposed to the bottom)
SHRIMP (there are a myriad of options but Neocardinas species have been known to be easier to take care of)

Lastly, all these fish/shrimp would benefit from some live plantage.

T'were me, I would fill it with a vinegar solution and run it for day then empty and rinse it just to be sure. This will ensure that all the nooks and crannies in the pumps and such are well cleaned of salt.

You will want to toss and replace any disposable media (sponges, pads, floss, etc).

blert said:
T'were me, I would fill it with a vinegar solution and run it for day then empty and rinse it just to be sure. This will ensure that all the nooks and crannies in the pumps and such are well cleaned of salt.

You will want to toss and replace any disposable media (sponges, pads, floss, etc).

Thanks so much that's what I'm going to do!!!

Predfan27 said:
I'm not sure about the timeframe, never moved from salt to fresh!

Your options are a little limited with such a small tank but there are some great ones out there! My list is as follows:

Dwarf Croaking Gourami (tiny Gourami with some great blue shades)
Badis Badis (small fish where the male has excellent red coloring)
Boraras species (small red Rasboras)
Endlers Livebearers (Livebearers that look like they have been painted)
Corydoras Pygmaeus (small Corydoras that enjoy swimming in the middle of the tank as opposed to the bottom)
SHRIMP (there are a myriad of options but Neocardinas species have been known to be easier to take care of)

Lastly, all these fish/shrimp would benefit from some live plantage.

thank you so so much i appreciate all of the input, I was thinking maybe a betta fish. Do you think that would be okay??

Hmmm in a tank that size, I wouldn't. If your Betta is a nice guy you may be able to get some shrimp in there. But that's a long shot.

I had a betta in a fluval chi 5.5 gal tank with some driftwood and a couple plants and it was perfect. He was pretty active all the time and I decided that he was all the tank needed. I really loved watching him swim all around. They are really such beautiful fish. I also had 5 male tiger endlers in it once (after the betta had passed away) and I wished I had gotten another betta instead.

Bearchumjs said:
I had a betta in a fluval chi 5.5 gal tank with some driftwood and a couple plants and it was perfect. He was pretty active all the time and I decided that he was all the tank needed. I really loved watching him swim all around. They are really such beautiful fish. I also had 5 male tiger endlers in it once (after the betta had passed away) and I wished I had gotten another betta instead.

Awesome I'm definitely getting a betta I feel like I'm going to mess up the plants though :/

Oh there are pretty "kill-proof" plants. Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias (Specifically Anubias Nana for your tank), and some of the Crypts. Crypts have a tendency to melt when introduced to a tank but 95% they grow back.

Java Moss can be used like a "carpet" and is very low needs. Here is a pic of my 5.5g Red Cherry Shrimp tank that has mostly low light plants. It's only form of light is a simple desk lamp.

View attachment 111066

View attachment 111067

View attachment 111068

I say galaxy rasboras or Pygmy sunfish or endler live beaters all very beautiful.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I say galaxy rasboras or Pygmy sunfish or endler live beaters all very beautiful.

Everglade Sunfish are awesome US native fish. Only gripe I have with them is that their reeeeally awesome colors only come out at breeding season (I know I know this isnt the only fish). Galaxy Rasboras are awesome. But they can be really shy fish. Mine have been that way every time I have kept em. I love Endlers and they are great for small tanks. Unless you have males and females...haha

Predfan27 said:
Oh there are pretty "kill-proof" plants. Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias (Specifically Anubias Nana for your tank), and some of the Crypts. Crypts have a tendency to melt when introduced to a tank but 95% they grow back.

Java Moss can be used like a "carpet" and is very low needs. Here is a pic of my 5.5g Red Cherry Shrimp tank that has mostly low light plants. It's only form of light is a simple desk lamp.

You think I should get Anubias Nana for my betta??

I imagine any Anubias would be fine. I have Anubias barteri that I bought from petco. Here's a link to it. I can take a picture of it tomorrow when I turn on the lights. I really love it and would like to get another one. Is an easy grower and my betta never bothered it. I also have a second variety of Anubias but I'm unsure what species it is. It also is an easy grower and the betta seemed to like it as well.

Bearchumjs said:
I imagine any Anubias would be fine. I have Anubias barteri that I bought from petco. Here's a link to it. I can take a picture of it tomorrow when I turn on the lights. I really love it and would like to get another one. Is an easy grower and my betta never bothered it. I also have a second variety of Anubias but I'm unsure what species it is. It also is an easy grower and the betta seemed to like it as well.

Thanks I might have to get some live plants for the tank

harryggumb said:
How many could I keep in a 6g?" though ?

You could probably do around 5 Celestial Pearl Danios and 5 Corydoras Pygmaeus if you get some decent plantage going on.

Back
Top Bottom