New Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I we bought a new comet goldfish and it has a few white scales most of of it's body is orange but it just has a few white scales is this bad.

It is really hard to say. Does it look like a fungus? Do the scales look like they are protruding out of the body or do they look normal? Could be the coloring of the fish or it could be some type of wound/infection.

Any chance you could post a picture of it just to be sure?

Yeah sure I could post a picture but on in about 10hrs. Sry. I just have another question the 2 new commet goldfish I added to the tank seem to chase my ryhukin goldfish around and stick there heads between it's two tail fins are they hurting it. They don't seem to bite it just rub their heads against it and chase it.

If there is no nipping I think you are fine. It might be worth keeping an eye on. I'm not too familiar with goldies so I might let someone else chime in who has experience with those species.

Multiple resources state that you should not keep single tailed species with fancies. A colleague of mine has a comet and a black moor together in a 50 and has not had issues. But that's is allot of tank room between them. How big is you tank because comets get to be around 12 inches?

How big is your tank? You realistically should take the comets back to the store-they grow to be 12-18inches in length very quickly and really belong in a pond environment. Ryunkins really should not be kept with comets. Comets are the faster, more aggressive (esp when it comes to feeding) species of fish and they will out compete the ryunkin for food. How are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Unusual behavior and issues with their scales can be attributed to water quality issues.

Thy arnt annoying it anymore. And I haven't had any trouble like fetus from keeping fancies and normals together I have kept fantails org comet for a long time.

We really need to some of idea of your tank specs (how many gal) and what your water parameters are for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to adequately help you. You really should consider taking the comets back to the lfs or rehoming them in a proper environment (pond) unless you have a 100gal tank (preferably larger).

Back
Top Bottom