New Goldfish Aquarium, any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
100g filter for 40g tank, water is still cloudy?
Fish seem happy for now, but they PH is a little high (7.8) My comets prefer 7.5.

I have .25 ammonia reading, zero nitrate and zero nitrite. Can someone explain? Any other tips for getting my tank stabilized with the healthy bacteria?

Hi and welcome! How many goldfish do you have in the 40? What kind? How long have the fish been in the tank?

Looks like you're doing a fish-in cycle. These articles may help some. Keep asking questions though if you need to!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

+1
Welcome!! I agree that your just beginning a fish-in cycle. What are you using to test your water (liquid or strips)? Your ph is perfectly fine- goldfish actually do better in higher ph, hard water. Some more info about your exact situation will help. Please read the articles posted and ask any questions! :)

Thanks for the replies!

Hey guys. I have 6 comet goldfish. They are really small right now, I will move them when they get bigger or give one away. 4 of them have beatles names :p

They have been in there for a couple of days now, and they are very alert and happy.

I have an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. The best they had, because I know the strip tests are stupid from reading around.

The tank is pretty sparse right now, just a little cave for them to hide in when they get stressed. Next thing I want to do is add live plants, which I know will complicate things further, but only when I can find a decent lid/light fixture for my tank. (bonus points if you find me one online somewhere! I dont even have much of a lid yet! Just some egg crate cut to size)

Temp is a steady 74 without a heater. I read they are coldwater fish, but how can I consistently keep their tank at a good 62?

Should I wait for the cycle to finish before I put in plants? I read those articles and I understand what, chemically, is going on, but I am also wondering... where are these "magic bacteria" going to come from? Do I supply them? They just spawn like magic? When the ammonia gets to high, here comes magic bacteria to the rescue?

If magic bacteria DOESNT come to the rescue, then what? I cant let my fish die, I love them!

Anyways thanks for reading sorry that was long.

What are the dimensions of the tank? I'm sure you can find a lid somewhere. BigAlsOnline or Dr. Fosters and Smith maybe.

You can add live plants anytime. Some good low-light plants are java fern and anubias.

The bacteria are in the air, they'll find their way to the tank and then multiply; unfortunately this process takes some time so in the meantime you have to keep the toxins down with water changes when you start to see ammonia and/or nitrite readings in the tank.

Oh from the air. Okay that makes sense. Why did I not think of that.

The dimensions of my tank are 36" x 18" x 16" I wouldve wanted the 40g long, but my fish like to swim all the way to the top and do backflips and stuff (someday i will teach them to do it on command :p)

What plant could I use as a plant carpet in place of gravel? I saw dwarf grass and java fern, but java fern gets really high up and needs a lot of maintenance and so does the grass. And I saw this other plant but it was too "clover" like. Any of you guys have a "carpeted" aquarium? I just dont like the look of gravel and I want my tank to look like this some day (a mix between the two)
http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/sf/2-1-aquarium2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/V1K87.jpg

Except maybe not so crowded so my fish can still do flips!

:thanks:

So it's a 40 breeder. I have one too. You could get something like this for a lid. Lighting will depend on what plants you want. Most low-light plants will do well with almost any light. If you want a carpet though, most carpet plants need high light, CO2 and fertilizers.

Forget about plants with goldfish, they will eat most of them. You need a substrate to have carpeting plants.That tank will be too small for even one in about a year or less. Don't worry about the temp. Cold water doesn't mean the water has to be cold. The pH doesn't matter either so don't be concerned about it.
If the ammonia starts to creep up, change out a portion of the water,perhaps 50%. It may slow the cycle, but it beats killing the fish.

You can try tying Anubias to Driftwood or aquarium safe smooth rocks. But feed shelled Peas or other Greens or Veggies to keep them away from plants. Anubias don't taste great.

It's better to start out stocked correctly or the fish will stunt and you'll have very Fat , Short bodied Comets that won't live as long.

Keep up on water changes, you will never be able to have an Iwagumi set up with Goldfish, sorry. :( they would just rip it up.
But there are planted Goldfish tanks. Google it on YouTube. Comets are harder on plants than Fancies though.

Enjoy and keep learning.

My goldie tanks are planted but as its already been mentioned, comets will likely destroy most plants (if not all). Fancies are not as destructive and can be taught to eat veggies daily instead of plants. Give anubias (theres a large variety) a try but dont be surprised if you can not keep anything as your goldfish will decide what you are allowed to keep, not you.

"your goldfish will decide what you are allowed to keep, not you."
That made me laugh. Sad but true.

Okay so... I guess I could just lightly plant it with anubias?

Thanks for the lid link! That is just what I was trying to find. Petsmart was totally unhelpful.

Is there a way to make a goldfish tank look full and beautiful and natural without them deciding it looks yummy?

Weeelll, you are going to need a HUGE tank in the future if you want to keep all 6 comets. They can grow to 18" and have huge bio loads. If you want to keep the 40 breeder, you could have 2-3 fancies in there.

But for plants, anubias, java fern, maybe some duck weed, frog bit, water lilies LOL

I know they get big. They are just babies right now I am hoping that by the time they get huge I will be able to make them a new home. I actually want a POND in a couple of years, instead of a ginormous glass tank. but thats a couple years from now.

After I make my pond the year after next, I think I will take upon your idea to put a few fancies in there. I was going to get fan tails, but I already had Paul (a comet) before I knew how big they got. I just saw him in the feeder tank and felt so bad and saw he was only 27 cents and took him home. I got so attached i didnt want to get rid of him. Then he got all depressed so I got him some friends, and now they are all happy...

but now I have to build a pond in 2015...

So anyways, they WONT eat java fern and anubias? or the frog bit and lillies? If thats true I can just settle for not having a carpet. I just want some real plants in there.

"your goldfish will decide what you are allowed to keep, not you."
That made me laugh. Sad but true.

Okay so... I guess I could just lightly plant it with anubias?

Thanks for the lid link! That is just what I was trying to find. Petsmart was totally unhelpful.

Is there a way to make a goldfish tank look full and beautiful and natural without them deciding it looks yummy?

Goldies are funny creatures! Start with anubias. As I mentioned, theres a wide variety, not just the little ones you commonly see at a chain store. And, more importantly, start working with them now with eating lots of daily veggies that you offer. If you can get them eating daily veggies, you will lessen the impact on any plants you want to try. For some other goldfish hardy plant ideas, you can try java fern, swords, crypts, aponogetons, etc. You may even be able to do some floating plants though even my guys will nibble at the roots on occasion. Have fun experimenting! :)

Back
Top Bottom