New guy...............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuantumCranker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

I am planning on starting a 55 gal tank for the living room of my house. I would really love to plant it. I will be for 2 pumpkinseed sunfish I want it to look somewhat like the cross section of the shallow waters of a pond. Kind of like this one.
day41.JPG
CREDIT TO kaaikop
I purchased this 391 page book off the bargain table at a book chain a few years back when I was considering this but was still living with parents and was a little unstable time/money wise at the time.
1856480135.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It has a ton of info but still seems a little over my aquatic head. Please answer some questions for me.
If I were going to duplicate the tank pictured, what steps, products, and order of planting and things like that would you all recommend?

Thanks so much and we (my wife and I) look forward to your replies.
Randy

Welcome to AA!

In answer to your questions, take a look at the sticky's in the planted tank forum. Read through some of the threads on planted tanks. There is a ton of information available right here at AA.

If you come across something that you want to question, post it in the planted tank forum.

Planted tanks are wonderful. You and your wife will enjoy it immensley.

As far as products, you will need sufficient lighting (in the pic above, it's over 2wpg), but you can still have a nice planted tank at 1wpg. Canister filters are highly recommended for filtration. Lastly, if you want to go over 2wpg, you will also need CO2 injection and ferts.

Good luck!

I am in agreement with Jchillin.. check out the stickys in the planted tank section.. There is a little fertilization involved at lower light levels but its far from what is involved with the high light, CO2 injected tanks need..
A good water testkit would be on the top of my things to get list. PO4 and NO3 testkits are a must if you want a heathy planted tank.. a comprehensive master testkit will do the job.. I like to recomend this one.. http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19475;category_id=3111;pcid1=3233;pcid2=
and if you have any questions about lighting, substrates, ferts.. go ahead and ask those questions in the planted tank area of the forum, some of the best and brightest of the plant help dont look in the getting started area..
by the way.. were are you going to get pumpkin seed sunfish? That sounds GREAT! :king:

Im looking at the picture of the aquarium you have up there and I just noticed it has a lawn of carpeting plants..
that is definatly a high light, CO2 injected tank...

I am going to purchase them from an agricultural dealer that stocks ponds and lakes. OK maybe I will have to lower my expectations a bit. LOL but I would still love a natural looking tank with a thick plant growth in areas like that. I appreciate your responses and I'll stay in touch with I'm sure many more questions as I get going!

HEHE

Thanks,
Randy

you dont have to lower your expectations.. you will just need to study up some and get ready to invest in CO2 and a good light fixture (good substrate as well, that tank looks like eco-complete)

Pristella tetras and neons, a nice combination in a planted tank. As stated, that tank is definitely a higher light, co2 injected tank. Such is the cost of a beautifully planted tank. Like you, I long for such a thing. Till then, I shall continue to be known as the Plantslayer :(

I am about a month away from starting my first planted tank. I am going small (10 gal) and low light, no co2 to gain some experience. Then who knows? I think I have the same book! Also plucked from the discount bin.

Back
Top Bottom