New Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vatilla

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10g with a Betta, 3 Otos and a Mystery Snail. My current heater has managed to chug along since June, when I bought it new for about $17. I didn't have the money for even a decent heater, but this one is just terrible and I am now willing to spend a maximum of $40 on a good heater that will last. I really have no clue what's good or not and I most definitely DO NOT trust ANYTHING the pet store owners say (buy this filter, they said. It will work fine, they said. LIES!), but they're my only hope of at least a half decent heater. I live up in Canada, so brands may be different, but I have some questions for anyone who replies:
What is a good brand?
What heaters can hold steadily at 80-82 degress Fahrenheit?
What is a good easily concealed heater?
What wattage is appropriate for a 10g?
What type of heater don't singe/damage my Betta's fins?
What kind of heater is okay to have an Oto or a Mystery Snail be around it?

Thank you to those who answer! :fish2:

I would think a 50 watt heater would probably be sufficient for a 10g assuming its going to be in a room at normal room temps. I have read good things about fluval heaters, so that's what I have been upgrading to and no complaints so far.

Thanks a bunch! I too have heard of Fluval heaters, though I am unsure if the pet store I will be going to has them... But I will definitely remember the 50 watts- don't want cooked fish!

I've used Aqueon heaters, the adjustable ones. I've had good experiences with them so far. 82 might be on the high side. I keep my betta tank and my tropical tank with otos at 78-79.

I keep fluvals on mine :] It may be worth ordering offline if your petstore doesn't have what you're looking for. The wait might be a little longer, but you won't be stuck buying something more expensive/doesn't work as well.

hydor brand is good. 50 watt should be sufficient if the ambient temp of the room is 69-72 and you want to heat up to 80 degrees or so.

Back
Top Bottom