New Heater!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teagybear

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright... The heater I got with my starter kits sucks. I definitely need to replace it. Is there any you would recommend? I'm trying to stay within a reasonable budget. ($0-$60) Links are welcome! Share your personal experience too! :)

Marineland Visi-therm (though the temperature they produce is always 4-5 degrees warmer than the temp you set), Eheim Jager, Fluval, Hydor.

Visitherm is a very affordable heater. They work. Not a bad buy.

Not as much as back in the day though. Ebo Jager was the stuff of legend, then they sold to Eheim, then there were 1st gen Eheim Jagers, which were still good. We're several gens down the line now. They're much more cheaply made than they used to be.

Well, they're a great price, have a low temp fluctuation (+-0.5%), very accurate and you can "fine tune" the adjustment. I've never been anything but extremely satisfied with them. Also FWIW, the suction cup bracket mount is solid and actually sticks to the glass, and that's something that cannot be said for many heaters.

Just my two cents

100W is the generally recommended wattage for 20 gallon. You can do 75 but not in a cold (ie, below 70F) room it might not hold the temp as well, or will have to work too hard and not last as long.

On the other side of the coin, should the heater fail in the "on" position, it's less likely to cook your fish if it's 75W than 100.

100W is the generally recommended wattage for 20 gallon. You can do 75 but not in a cold (ie, below 70F) room it might not hold the temp as well, or will have to work too hard and not last as long.

On the other side of the coin, should the heater fail in the "on" position, it's less likely to cook your fish if it's 75W than 100.

I should've said that for the heater I have, it's 75W and recommended for 16-26g tanks. Recommendations change with different heaters.

Yep, some heaters are more efficient than others. The manufacturer provides a chart with gallon ranges for their heaters. That's more reliable than x watts per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom