New help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and the aussie thing is because where all alchos so we talk to anyone lol

Ok will do, I think I meant for my question to be how do I change water? Like how would I go about making a 50% change or so? Tips or little tricks on getting water the right temp as the tank? Take fish out or keep them in? Stuff like that, thanks!

Get a gravel vac if you do not have one already and a big bucket. This bucket is for your fish tank only.
Use your gravel vac, it's basically a siphon, you suck up your water and put the end in the gravel. It will pick up the gravel and toss it about inside and remove debris with the water.
Once you've finished your gravel or removed the water you want to you can use an algae cloth to wipe down any decor/the tank walls if you need to(to remove algae growth or what have you) once your tank is cycled you can also remove your filter media every week and swish it around in your old tank water in your bucket. This will help clear out any old food or waste that may be trapped inside. Anything you clean in your tank should always be done in old tank water or conditioned tap water. Every once in a while you should clean out your filter housing in the same method. It can get build ups in tubes and such. I have a tooth brush that is also just for my tank that works wonders for this purpose.

Once you are ready to refill your tank temp match the water with your hand to get it as close to the tank temp as possible and then condition your water and add it back to the tank. You can either add the conditioner to the buckets directly for the amount in the buckets or if it's easier that you can just dose the conditioner directly to your tank. Dose for the whole volume of the tank in this case and then you can add your water back in.

Also be sure to unplug all of your filters and heater when doing water changes.

once your tank is cycled weekly water changes should be enough to maintain good quality. 30-40% a week would be plenty in a properly stocked tank. Sadly you are going to be doing a lot of changes until your tank is cycled.

Thanks so much guys! Excited to get this going more now! Any suggestions in where to get cheap testing supplies?

Get a gravel vac if you do not have one already and a big bucket. This bucket is for your fish tank only.
Use your gravel vac, it's basically a siphon, you suck up your water and put the end in the gravel. It will pick up the gravel and toss it about inside and remove debris with the water.
Once you've finished your gravel or removed the water you want to you can use an algae cloth to wipe down any decor/the tank walls if you need to(to remove algae growth or what have you) once your tank is cycled you can also remove your filter media every week and swish it around in your old tank water in your bucket. This will help clear out any old food or waste that may be trapped inside. Anything you clean in your tank should always be done in old tank water or conditioned tap water. Every once in a while you should clean out your filter housing in the same method. It can get build ups in tubes and such. I have a tooth brush that is also just for my tank that works wonders for this purpose.

Once you are ready to refill your tank temp match the water with your hand to get it as close to the tank temp as possible and then condition your water and add it back to the tank. You can either add the conditioner to the buckets directly for the amount in the buckets or if it's easier that you can just dose the conditioner directly to your tank. Dose for the whole volume of the tank in this case and then you can add your water back in.

Also be sure to unplug all of your filters and heater when doing water changes.

And im sorry to keep asking, but do you take your fish out for 30% or 40% changes while using the gravel vac?

And im sorry to keep asking, but do you take your fish out for 30% or 40% changes while using the gravel vac?

Nope. Only time I've removed fish was when I was tearing down my tank to move it. lol. So much easier of both you and the fish.

I hear Amazon has test kits for a great price. I live in Canada so shipping here is not worth it but I know many in the US get theirs online. I think you can buy the whole kit for 20 bucks perhaps. API brand is the preferred one around here

Ok awesome! You guys thank you all so so much you've been great! Rasbora danios died this morning... Replaced them with red minor tetras, will they school well with Von rio flame tetras?

i seen you talking about gravel vacs dont get 1 your tank need the build up of stuff to feed ur good bios so many people go wrong with them u need to remember that expecialy if u want live plantd

lamby said:
i seen you talking about gravel vacs dont get 1 your tank need the build up of stuff to feed ur good bios so many people go wrong with them u need to remember that expecialy if u want live plantd

Ok, should I let it go for the whole month cycle?

to tell you the truth if u set it up well so the water flows eery where you dont i gave mine away to a pet shop didnt use it evar get a peice of air tubing and tie it to a chop stick spot clean big bunchs of poop and thats all

Awesome! Quick question, Von rio flame tetras and minor red tetras ok together in a tank with Cory's? Will the tetras school and be ok?

id google it I am only good with mbuna and cichlids

Back
Top Bottom