New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems that you have low oxygen levels in your tank.

The danios were in a bucket, not the main tank - wasn't ideal but was the best I had at the time. They were ill and the dealer placed theirs into quarantine the day after I purchased mine from them.

MattJ said:
The danios were in a bucket, not the main tank - wasn't ideal but was the best I had at the time. They were ill and the dealer placed theirs into quarantine the day after I purchased mine from them.

You did the right thing, no worries :)

I want to add more oxygen to main tank anyway ..

At present the filter (Fluval U2 plus) is positioned so that there is a lot of surface agitation as the water returns to the tank. I was hoping that there would have been a way to add an airline and airstone to this filter but I do not have the instructions and can't find anything on google.

For those not familiar with the filter.. there is a blue outlet running horizontal where the water returns, and there is a black pipe vertical above this where air enters..

I do know if I can't do it with my filter I'll need to purchase a separate airpump, a line, a non-return valve and an airstone attachment!

Also, I was purely just unlucky with the dealer - they were voted No1 aquatic store in the North of England by readers of "Practical Fish Keeping Magazine".

I feel your sadness today.
Michael (Bala shark) very suddenly, with no warning died this evening. He has some sort of green burn on him :(

MattJ said:
I want to add more oxygen to main tank anyway ..

At present the filter (Fluval U2 plus) is positioned so that there is a lot of surface agitation as the water returns to the tank. I was hoping that there would have been a way to add an airline and airstone to this filter but I do not have the instructions and can't find anything on google.

For those not familiar with the filter.. there is a blue outlet running horizontal where the water returns, and there is a black pipe vertical above this where air enters..

I do know if I can't do it with my filter I'll need to purchase a separate airpump, a line, a non-return valve and an airstone attachment!

Also, I was purely just unlucky with the dealer - they were voted No1 aquatic store in the North of England by readers of "Practical Fish Keeping Magazine".

I'm really not familiar with your particular filter, but as long as it is creating surface agitation...that should be sufficient. Air stones are usually used for decorative purposes as long as there is some source breaking the water surface. If you start to see a bio-film develop on the surface or the fish are gasping at the top...that is your sign that the water is low in oxygen.

How long had you had him?

I guess I'd had the danios < 24 hours so hadn't had time to get too attached to them .

I'm really not familiar with your particular filter, but as long as it is creating surface agitation...that should be sufficient. Air stones are usually used for decorative purposes as long as there is some source breaking the water surface. If you start to see a bio-film develop on the surface or the fish are gasping at the top...that is your sign that the water is low in oxygen.

The neons have never been to the top yet - apart from feeding.

Filter review here: Fluval U2 internal filter review | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

MattJ said:
How long had you had him?

I guess I'd had the danios < 24 hours so hadn't had time to get too attached to them .

He replaced the one that lived for 48 hours. Had him for just over a week.
Gutted. He was perfectly fine before.
Maybe I shouldn't name them, I named them 2 days ago.
Bad batch maybe. But on closer inspection his injury looks like a cut?! Gone green. With some White thing in the middle. :(

eco23 said:

Hmm really? Bio film means low oxygen level? That's a different story for a planted tank though right? Haha I'm asking because I'm about to maximizing my stock in my 10g soon.

Hubert90 said:
Hmm really? Bio film means low oxygen level? That's a different story for a planted tank though right? Haha I'm asking because I'm about to maximizing my stock in my 10g soon.

I think the bio-film basically shows there's not sufficient surface agitation. I'm not certain of it's effect on oxygen levels, I've heard it does limit the exchange...but I have no proof or data to back it up other than what I've heard from other members.

eco23 said:
I think the bio-film basically shows there's not sufficient surface agitation. I'm not certain of it's effect on oxygen levels, I've heard it does limit the exchange...but I have no proof or data to back it up other than what I've heard from other members.

Ah yes, I agree with not sufficient surface agitation. But I have little choice because I want to keep my co2 level sufficient for my plants! XD Hahaha thanks eco

Just to update.. a week after I got my danios ..

I still have the 6 tetras :)

Water levels are spot on : Ammonia and NitrItes at 0 and NitrAtes at 10.

Sorry to bring and old thread back but thought it was better than starting a new!

You will all be pleased to know that I now have 18 happy fish swimming around my tank!

I will try photos but need to try borrow my brothers DSLR as they are too fast to snap!!

Sorry to bring and old thread back but thought it was better than starting a new!

You will all be pleased to know that I now have 18 happy fish swimming around my tank!

I will try photos but need to try borrow my brothers DSLR as they are too fast to snap!!

That's great, congratulations! And pics are always welcome!

Back
Top Bottom