Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pizentios
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ View Post
Aye, I'm trying to remain patient!

That IMHO is the hardest part of the fishless cycle. But your fish will thank you in the end!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

My girl also deemed it mandatory that Glofish (genetically modified Zebra Danios) were part of our stocking plan, lol. In my 48 gallon we've got a mix of Glofish / Leopard Danios (they don't know they're different and all school together), some Neons, Red Eye Tetras, Red Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp, Otos and a Bolivian Ram as our centerpiece fish.

I saw the measurements, but how many gallons is the tank? I'd also recommend a small school of Corydoras to add life to the bottom of the tank. Shrimp are neat because they are good cleaners and take up virtually none of your bio-load. You can get a bunch and they don't really count much towards the number of fish you can have.

Keep us updated on how your cycle is going. Just keep following the guide and you'll stay right on track

eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm cycling right now too. Never hurts to start thinking about stocking early that way you go do some of your own research as to what u want. I've been trying to decide for my 55g I really like the German blue rams but since im a beginner it looks like Bolivian would be best for me. I have some neons in my 10 gallon and I love the little guys. I also have some flame tetras and they are cool and different for little fish. If you get barbs keep in mind they can be aggressive and pretty nippy . unfortunately they do best in large schools which require pretty large tanks. The glo fish are cool. U may also wanna check the glolight tetra they are cool google will be your best friend lol... Pick want you want and start weeding things out according to tank size and comparability... There are also black and penguin tetras If u het a cleanup crew make sure that you tank size meets it's growing needs bc that's a common mistake lol I have a common pleco in my 10g he needs a 100 g or more. Tell us the things u like and maybe we can help u decide
Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Approx 15.5 UK gallon, works out approx 18.7 US Gallon or approx 71 litres.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, I have here a water quality report for my area:

http://www.nwl.co.uk/_assets/files/wq/T109.pdf

Highlights Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite etc and max/min and average levels in tap water.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stocking is not my specialty, but I've got a couple ideas for you. With Danios (Glofish) they are super active fish. The bigger the tank the better, but I think a small school would be fine in a 20 gallon. I personally like to have life at each level of the tank. The Danios are top level swimmers...so I'd shoot for maybe 5 of them in assorted colors / species if you wanted. Then I'd add a small school of something tiny like the neons to take up the middle portion of the tank. For the bottom area I'd go with a few Julii Corys and a bunch of RCS. Then if you wanted to add one larger fish to serve as a centerpiece fish like a Dwarf Gourami...I think that'd look great
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was under the impression tetras etc should be kept in atleast a shoal of six?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another water test, a week into first fishless cycle

NO3 - 10
NO2 - 0.5
Ammonia - 2.0 ppm
Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Should I be testing more regularly than 3-4 days a week?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can, test every three day or less to ensure you don't starve your new bacterial colony you are growing.

Quote:
The missus is keen on GloFish (part of the danio group?) and Neon Tetras so ideally will have some of those in but what to start off with / what will go well with them - how many etc?
These are excellent choices for first stocking choices. And yes, all tetras should be kept in groups of six or more.

There are many, many varieties of tetras, which are excellent first fish. Many types have been suggested here, and that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to tetras.

But do your homework on tetras. Some can be nippy -such as black skirts - and not easy to keep with other fish, though most are not.

Corys for the bottom are nice too, but they are also a schooling fish and do best in groups of six or more.

I would not advise you to stock barbs at this time. They can be aggressive and many types will grow way too large for your tank.

Killifish, small varieties of rainbows and nano rasboras are also good choices, though sometimes harder to find.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com