New here :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all! I'm semi new to the aquarium world. I've had fish before but it's been almost three years. My last aquarium I had was a 40 gallon that I had a variety of tropical fish in. One day I was cleaning it and throwing my old rocks out in the woods behind my house and it cracked :( i haven't had fish since but have always wanted them again. I just got a 10 gallon tank given to me by a friend who just moved and needed to get rid of it so it's now mine! I'm so excited! I want to start off this aquarium doing things the right way. I know with my last I jumped into it and got my aquarium and put fish in the same day then later found out about needing to let the water run through the aquarium before adding fish. So my question is how long should I let the water run through, also if there is a technical term for that someone please inform me I'm all about learning the correct terms for things! My friend basically gave me everything I need to get the aquarium going except rocks and fish. It will probably be about a week before I am able to get any fish to add, and I do remember from my last time having fish you need to add them one at a time or in small groups and not a lot of fish all at once. If I got my aquarium set up in the next few days would t that be to long to let the water run through or do I need to let the water run through longer?

Welcome!, I think the term you're looking for is "cycle".. there are a couple different methods to cycle a new aquarium, all the methods basically use an ammonia source to create 2 types of "good bacteria" that lives on surfaces in your aquarium like the substrate and decor the first bacteria converts ammonia to nitrites and the second converts nitrites into nitrates. Two things you will definitely need is patients and a liquid test kit. You should see as you start your cycle a ammonia, nitrite and nitrate spike. when everything drops to zero this means the good bacteria is thriving and your ready for fishies.. I'm not sure on the different methods maybe someone else can chime in but I'll be following along hopefully see you upgrade back to a 40 :) good luck!

Here is how the nitrogen cycle works. In my words.

Ok so you fill your tank with water, you have a filter, you think your set, but your not. Any fish that you would put in from this point would suffer from New Tank Syndrome, because your tank lacks beneficial bacteria, as well as immunity from harmful bacteria (ammonia and nitrites.) Ironically you need ammonia to kick off the cycle because the cycle goes in this order:

ammonia ---> nitrite ---> nitrate

Ammonia needs to kick in, then dissolve to nothing in order for nitrite to kick in, nitrite does the same thing as ammonia, then nitrate (good bacteria) is your goal. Once nitrate starts building up and your other bad bacterias are at 0, your tank is cycled. So this is what your tank should look like

ammonia: (0 ppm), nitrite: (0 ppm), nitrate: (<25)

This whole process takes many weeks. You will have to be patient. Keep testing your water. Bacteria is expected to fluctuate so ammonia and nitrites should be rising and falling. Good luck.

I just have to point out that ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are not bacteria and they do not dissolve. Ammonia is produced by the fish (and rotting plants, invert waste, etc). Bacteria then grow and colonize the tank and filter. These bacteria consume (eat) the ammonia. The end product is nitrite. Another set of bacteria then grow and colonize the tank and filter. These consume nitrite. The end product is nitrate. Nitrate is then removed by doing water changes and consumed by plants and algae.
The article posted above explains it and tank maintenance in more detail.

Mrs.h2012 said:
I just got a 10 gallon tank given to me by a friend who just moved and needed to get rid of it so it's now mine! I'm so excited! I want to start off this aquarium doing things the right way.

Do you know what kinds of fish you're gonna keep

Not exactly sure yet waffle, my last time having fish I mainly stuck to tetras and had some guppies and mollies at one point. I'm definitely sticking with freshwater fish, I just dont have the time to keep a saltwater tank. I want to do everything the right way this time around, I'm still doing my research on which breeds do best together and what kind of environment they need.

Nice.. research and planning is always the way to go, I've been planning my sw reef tank for almost a year lol.. but yeah it looks like you're going for a community tank, research plants as well as fish. Plants will help a little with water quality and also give the tank a more natural look

If another way to cycle your tank is using bacterial supplement like bio spira or safe start. These acctually work if you follow the instructions and don't underdose.

Seachem stability, have used it many times and it works - these products won't Cycle your tank - its just a helping hand until your tank cycles itself, the bacteria they provide don't survive for long in the tank, but will help deal with some unwanted high levels. If you can get some media from your pet store or a friend put it in the tank as well, should speed things along.

Haven't gotten anywhere with it, I'm really trying to do things the right way this time around. I haven't gotten the master kit yet, all I have is a pH test kit as of now, and as bad as I want fish I can't stand to put animals in harms way so I want to go the fishless route and kick off my cycle by adding ammonia and let it cycle on its own.

Mrs.h2012 said:
Haven't gotten anywhere with it, I'm really trying to do things the right way this time around. I haven't gotten the master kit yet, all I have is a pH test kit as of now, and as bad as I want fish I can't stand to put animals in harms way so I want to go the fishless route and kick off my cycle by adding ammonia and let it cycle on its own.

Ok sounds good keep us updated. Any pictures?

This is all I have for now, this is how it's looked
From day one since I got it all set up.

Attachments

• image-2618222631.jpg
    image-2618222631.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 91
It looks amazing, I agree you should fill it up all the way and also it looks uneven you might want to raise the left side of the table up a bit, it won't hurt if you don't tho

waffle said:
It looks amazing, I agree you should fill it up all the way and also it looks uneven you might want to raise the left side of the table up a bit, it won't hurt if you don't tho

Looks good, I also thought it looks a bit uneven, waffle you mentioned it wouldn't hurt to leave it like that, I've always thought if its uneven there's more pressure on one side of the tank which surely can't be good, increasing risk of the tank bursting?

Back
Top Bottom