new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishGoblin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all names Kc and am new to the aquarium addiction. I have 55 gallon glass with Aqueon 50 I know kinda small but gunna upgrade soon, pretty much basic set up heater, rock and so on not to many decorations yet but I'll get there. Just started with a fish in cycle and have
2 Kenyi cichlids
2 electric yellows
2 aratus cichlids
And 2 red zebra females(all no bigger than an inch)

Lfs suggested them as they are hearty fish I guess, so my only questions if anyone can help is how often do I feed these little guys and I've been reading a bunch about water changes thought out the cycle period is about every other day doing a 20-25% addiquite? Any other advice is greatly appreciated and thank you

For water changes, an API master test kit will be indispensable in helping you judge when to do one. And, it will help you know when your tank is cycled. Any time ammonia or nitrite reach .25ppm you can change 50%. Test strips aren't very accurate. You really need a liquid kit. Good luck! And Welcome to the forum!

Ok yes I've been meaning to order the master kit thank you

Feeding once per day is usually enough.

In regards to water changes, it'll depend on what your test kit reads. 20% every other day in an uncycled tank that's heavily stocked won't be enough. Here's a guide for you: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice Water changes will not harm the cycle and are needed to keep the fish healthy.

I'd also upgrade filters. A canister would work better in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom